Yellow tinge/cast on bottom half of Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zen, Jan 30, 2012.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Finally got my new Thunderbolt display today... and there is a distinct yellow tinge/cast to the bottom third of the display. It seems more prominent on the right-hand side, but what is crystal-clear white at the top of the screen is very dirty pale yellow on the bottom.

I'm assuming this is not within the expected display parameters? I've searched but most people seem to have yellow tinge problems with 27" iMacs, not Thunderbolt displays.

The display is being collected for return in a couple of days, but annoyingly I didn't get it via Apple and therefore have to wait 14 days for the return to credited, and then order a replacement. Damn!

Anyone else had a yellow tinge problem?

2. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Well, I'm hoping the lack of replies means this problem is very unusual, which means my replacement display will be fine! Fingers-crossed!

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

So, after stock problems at the supplier, my replacement display is finally coming this week.

I'm assuming it'll be fine, as I seem to be the only person in the world who got a TBD with a yellow tinge, although 27" iMac owners sometimes have that problem.

So... really nobody else has had this issue? If so, that's good news, and my new display should be fine. It should be brand new from Apple stock too, given that this retailer has been out of for a few weeks.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

From what I've read, the yellowing also occurs on iPhones and iPads. Something about the bonding agent in the screen not having dried completely. Most people report it going away.

i've heard of iMacs that start to discolor after about 1 year. No official word on a cause, but the best guess is heat from the CPU / GPU being concentrated behind the screen. But that shouldn't be an issue for the TBD.

5. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah, I've heard about the iPhone yellowing problem, but that's because those units go straight from production line to sale. Thunderbolt Displays are not high-volume sellers - I've received my second one, brand new, and its manufacture date according to the serial number was September 2011

This display is better, but there is still the slight discolouration/"bruising" along the bottom, more obvious on the right-hand side. But it is less so than the first one I had.

I guess it's within normal operating parameters, and you can only see it when the screen is white anyway. It's not bad enough to discolour photos or anything in colour (including the dock and my desktop picture).

Still, the display could be better, especially for the price I paid.

6. jovian macrumors newbie

zen,

I recently started a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1329311) asking about a darker line along the bottom of the display; is this the discolouration/"bruising" that you speak of, or are you just seeing a yellow-ish cast across the whole bottom third of the screen?

It's an annoyance, I must say, and I'm still not sure whether to just learn to live with it or perhaps get a different display.

7. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah I saw your thread - it sounds like a different issue. On my screen, it gets darker gradually towards the bottom, so when you have say a white website or a Word document open, it looks faintly bruised in a yellowish-brownish way. It is very subtle, and if I move my head down to the same level it lessens. So it may be an uneven backlight rather than the screen having a colour issue.

The photo you attached to your post is broken, so I can't see if you are report ing the same thing or not.

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

If I recall, there was a huge thread about this when the Thunderbolt iMacs dropped last year. I have a refurbed 21.5" QC i5 and I notice the shift to a slight yellow at the lower section on my monitor. Its not totally blantant, but when I move a Finder window around I can see where the white and grey change hue when I drag the window to the lower third of my screen.

I'm coping with it now, but might try and sick Apple on it before the mfr warranty runs out.