Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KayM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
Noticed this first earlier today when I was watching a fullscreen 1080p video on YouTube in Chrome. A yellowish tint is forming randomly on my screen, and I can't figure out what's causing it. Processes in Activity Monitor seemed normal, and I haven't installed anything recently for this to show up on my screen. I have f.lux but don't have it open, and have done a restart as well. When it first appeared, going to the login window made the tint visibly stop, but it started again a while after I went back to my account. Restarting while tint is visible makes it stop (its visible during the black shutdown screen but not there from the bootup screen onwards).. is there a way to get a list of processes that are showing something onscreen?

I made a video showing this: https://goo.gl/photos/Q3dEpxhEvrmZYPyi7 . The screen is showing the black screen option in whitedisplay.com. When I increased the brightness to full, you can notice a second after the brightness goes to max, the screen develops a yellow tint. Then after I turn off brightness and increase it to max again you can see the tint fade off "step by step" - like its going down notch by notch, kinda like the way the brightness goes down when you adjust it. Replicating what I did in the video doesn't replicate the tint again, but I can notice the tint at random times. I took a few screenshots while the tint was on: http://imgur.com/a/i3kNB, but they don't show the yellow tint.. I noticed later that when I increased the brightness to max the tint formed again. When I decreased the brightness by 1 notch, the tint went off..

I'm on Sierra 10.12.3..

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Could be an issue with the backlight.... or it could be some weird incompatibility with F.lux [speaking of, doesn't F.lux basically emulate night mode in OS X?]

As a first step I'd unintsall F.lux, do a full shutdown and restart, and see if issue remains. second step would be Reset Pram/SMC. Last step would be to full format reinstall OS X and see if problem persists. If a THATl doesn't fix it, it's Apple Store time.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Flux has been acting up for me lately, too. Even when I exit it, it can still cause problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.