Yellow Tint/Backlight Bleeding! Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lanthom88, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Lanthom88 macrumors newbie

This is my first post on this forum, so don't be harsh to me :).

A few days ago I got my rMBP (2,6 Ghz/ 256GB/ 16GB) and the first thing I noticed was the yellow tint (warm tone) on the Screen in comparison to my old Macbook (Unibody Late 2008). So I checked forums etc. and got confused. Some are saying this isn't normal and others are saying everything is alright, because the colors will be more "realistic".
    Well, I went working with the rMBP to check if the yellow tint is annoying me. After a while I went back to my old Macbook and the first thing I noticed is how "blue" the colours looked. My eyes are totally confused right now and I don't know which colours are more "true". Only thing i can say is, that i prefer the white tone on my old Macbook (i guess because i'm used to it...).

Maybe someone can tell me, if the screen on my rMBP or MB is defect/alright (especially the white tones). For comparison I uploaded a picture with white backround on both Macbooks.

[​IMG]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7nf84c0vk8vi5j/IMG_0444.JPG

Another thing I noticed is the backlight bleeding on the Retina Display. On a black backround i can see a yellow tint on the bottom left and a red tint on the the top right of the Screen.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is still acceptable or if I'm overreacting (Would not have noticed or searched for it, if i didn't read problems about backlight bleeding). Picture below.

[​IMG]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c6ttar2leray3p/IMG_0473.JPG

Also I noticed that the apple backlight logo looks a tiny bit red in comparison to the logo of my old Macbook. Sadly it isn't really visible on a picture, else i would have uploaded it. Maybe I'm overreacting again.

I really like the rMBP and everything is alright except for the unusual colour tone and backlight bleeding. I have a LG Display and no Image Retention yet.

2. Ploki macrumors 68000

If you calibrate it it you can set the screen tone a tad cooler.

3. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I'm experiencing the same thing! Calibration doesn't seem to help override it. I'm trying to ignore it. I'm annoyed because all of Apple's shipping laptops seem to have this yellow/warm tone to them. I know some here are going to contest that statement but from what I've seen it's true. If I can photograph the warmer color it's not just my eyes. My iPhone & iPad have normal whites by comparison. I didn't have to calibrate them. And I don't think you should have to do such a major calibration on a brand new display.

4. Lanthom88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also tried to calibrate it but I just can't get a "neutral" white or a white tone im used to. I have to admit, that i don't have a hardware calibration device. The warm tone isn't actually that bad as long as i dont see pure white or grey colours. Since i need the MBP right now, i will have to get used to it. It's really a shame, that brand new rMBP's can't show neutral white tones.

5. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Frustrating, isn't it?

I don't have a calibration device either. And honestly, you're right, there is not a way to make it feel neutral white through calibration. You don't notice how off the white balance is until something white like a web page, email, Office documents is on the screen and then it's like WHOA.

----------

Actually it's disappointing too.