Yellow tint/dimming ONLY when tilting

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LushMojo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. LushMojo macrumors regular

LushMojo

I've noticed over the past few hours that there seems to be a sweet spot of exactly perpendicular to my line of sight for the viewing angle on the new iPad. If I tilt even slightly off access I notice an immediate dimming/yellowing. Anyone else see this? This never happened on my iPad2.

I think I'm going to go swap it out tomorrow.

2. rkahl macrumors 65816

I've found that if the wind is out of the south southeast the yellow tint is more pronounced.

3. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I did notice that a little bit myself earlier.

I think its just the panel .... kinda like a TN panel that viewing angles get a Tiny bit yellowish. Not like a IPS panel that doesn't do that.

The angles are amazing and don't really blur at all but it does yellow just tinge a angle yes.

I'm sure we will have a HUGE thread on this and it will be a major thing. LOL

Doesn't affect the experience at all really but it is there.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

5. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Mine does the same thing at about a 45 degree angle and beyond, but I'm always looking at it head on so i'm ot going to worry about it.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Same here. I'm going to wait a few weeks before doing anything about it since it sounds like some of this works itself out.

7. LushMojo thread starter macrumors regular

LushMojo

This is happening well before 45 degrees. It happens, as I said, at tilting only slightly. I'm generally very forgiving and don't nitpick with these types of things, but when I'm reviewing medical images (radiological, etc.) I'd rather not have the display dim on small movements.

Will take a trip by the Apple Store and see if other displays do the same and potentially swap it.

8. drpthemc macrumors member

Happening to my 32gb black wifi ... Only blue/white when looking dead on.. Not a reason for me to exchange... Yet... may start fading once glue settles?? (crossing fingers)

9. andrewfee macrumors 6502

A Samsung LCD with poor viewing angles, who would have thought‽ :eek:

Mine does this and so does a friend's. I suspect that they all do.

It's not like the iPad 2 it replaced was perfect either, it seemed like it lost more brightness, but had less of a colour shift.

10. LushMojo thread starter macrumors regular

LushMojo

Didn't exchange it. All the models I looked at in store did the same. Seems to be intrinsic to the new panel. Either way, not a big deal. Greatly enjoying the new iPad.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

I tried last night with different sites open and different pictures and am astounded by the quality at different angles. I have no yellowing at all.

I was actually wondering if Apple or any reviewers said anything about this because the viewing angles kick butt on mine. The retina display is one factor in making the iPad look like paper and the other is the incredible viewing angles.

If you have a picture of the yellowing, I could take a picture of mine to show the difference.

12. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

This is normal.

The new tech. for panels with such high resolution cannot keep perfect colour reproduction at angles.

The new iMac is testament. Unless viewed spot on, you can see yellowing from angles.

It sucks I know, I hate it, but the technology isn't here yet.