Yellow tint. Does it improve over time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiverOak, Oct 25, 2016.

1. RiverOak macrumors newbie

RiverOak

Apple recently replaced the display on my rMBP 15 due to flaking coating. Well my new display has noticeably more uneven backlight but also a yellow tint in the middle of the screen.
    It is not extreme but bad enough to annoy me all the time when using the computer.

Having been through hell with replacing several iMacs 8 years ago because of yellow tint issues I'm really hesitant to trying to replace my screen only to get one that is worse as it seems to be a common issue.

I have read about iPhones and iPads being cured of yellow tint over time, so I'm curious if this in any way related to the rMBP. Those of you who have kept a partly yellow tinted screen. Have you noticed an improvement over time or has it stayed the same?

2. keviig macrumors 6502

While you might get rid of the yellow tint either over time or via display calibration in Mac OS, the uneven backlight won't get better. So based on that i'd try to get it exchanged.

3. RiverOak thread starter macrumors newbie

RiverOak

Well calibration will do no good as it's only part of the screen that has a tint. Uneven backlight is not as big of a problem for me as differences in color temperature is. Though I'm thinking that it might be the backlight that is causing the yellow tint.

Not sure what the chances are in getting a good replacement screen though. My previous one was pretty much perfect aside from the coating wearing off. But it might have been an exception.

Can't believe that this yellow tint madness is still going on almost a decade later.

4. keviig macrumors 6502

If the tint is only part of the screen then i would not expect it to get better. I'd try to get a different one! If it annoys you it's probably not something you'll forget and it'll keep bugging you. Personally i think its better to do the little extra work required to get a model you're happy with!

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Good grief. Now the OCD yellow screen folks that exist in the iPhone forum are coming over here. Great. :confused:

6. keviig macrumors 6502

This isn't about an overall yellow screen, but rather uneven backlight and tint. Something which really shouldn't happen regardless of color temperature.