Yellow Tint etc: Replacement rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattkidd, Jul 6, 2012.

1. mattkidd, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Hey!

Just received my replacement Retina baseline with 16GB RAM. Still currently have the original one. (Rattling sound and bad creaking issue) Apple were very good at replacing this.

My concern now lies with my replacement. I have noticed a couple of things, I'm not sure if whether this is just me being paranoid. I can keep both until next week so will have to use the new one a little more.

I have noticed the screen appears to be yellower and not as crisp as the original. I believe this could possibly be the adhesive and it may possibly fade? What do you suggest? it appears as though it was only manufactured on Monday.

I have also noticed the manufacturer of the RAM to be a different number. In benchmark tests this machine doesn't achieve as strong results as the first one. Not a huge difference talking very small difference, why would this be? (We're talking an average of a test run multiple times). Coconut battery also reports the machine to be using less power than the original. Not a bad thing obviously

They both have the same software, with the new one simply being a migration of a time machine backup.

2. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

If I were you; I'd call up Apple and initiate another exchange with them, just let them know you are unhappy with the replacement.

Remember you have spent big bucks for a laptop that is lauded by Apple as enjoying display quality like no other; as such the display should be perfect in every way.

3. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

I believe I may have to do this then. Hopefully ill get to keep the original machine for the time being. Really not impressed with the quality control being delivered at the moment. The machine also appears to still make a creaking sound..

4. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

I have my 3rd replacement rMBP on the way. My problem has been cosmetic defects on the aluminum exterior. The first one had two tiny indents on it that looked like teardrops and the second one has two tiny pinholes on the top cover. It's never a scratch, always like a pin prick. I think it must be related to the tools they use to handle the parts during assembly.

I also noticed a difference in performance but it was my second machine that was faster, it also gets much hotter when running 3D games. Both screens were close to the same but I also feel the second one is slightly yellowed on whites. Very slightly. The first rMBP had color and contrast that was really impressive, this one seems to be down a notch. However, the new one seems to show no sign of image retention, at least not during normal use.

5. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I sure hope I don't have any of these issues. I know I will be OCD about the display. I mean that's the biggest reason for purchasing this laptop for me.

But question, are they allowing you guys to keep your current laptop until the new one arrives? I will be very upset to wait a month and then when my unit gets here and has an issue to have to turn around and ship it back and wait another month before I get a new one. Using this old g4 powerbook for another month may just drive me crazy lol. It kind of sucks to hear your replacement was just built on Monday (how can you find this info?) because I am currently waiting on a base model with the 16gb upgrade and it sounds liek they are way behind on building them!

6. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Your 3rd, christ. I have also noticed a couple of small cosmetic issues I can't help but feel my FaceTime camera is wonky on this replacement. I have noticed this one seems to produce much more heat and the fans sound more audible. I have noticed however the lag i was experiencing before seems to have improved :confused:

I can definitely see a difference in both the displays, the first one looks so much crisper. I haven't seen any image retention although I can't say I've tried any tests out or long-term usage yet.

Absolutely and so you should be. I know I'm going to get more OCD about this now when I'm going onto my 3rd replacement. I hope they are simply improving the manufacturing as these returns take place. The lag has certainly improved and my battery also appears to be better. Although I can still hear the creaking (not as bad as before) which I think is down to the speaker assembly. Ugh I should have waited.

Yes Apple have allowed me to keep both machines, however they want my original one returning next week. (Its friday), however I'm not sure what the response will be now I ask for another replacement. I was also told by the senior support advisor that they are placing replacement as priority to be manufactured and was told mine was being built in the Shanghi factory on Monday ready for delivery today. I reported the problem to Apple on the 26th

7. maretus macrumors newbie

My first MBPr had a few of those tiny pin hole looking things. You'e right, they look like somebody took a needle and dug it straight into the finish.

Anyways, I ended up exchanging mine today for a new MBPr and this one is perfect cosmetically. The only thing I've noticed is that it makes a really loud creak/popping sound occasionally when I flip it over. However, I noticed that the screws on the bottom aren't fully screwed in and I think the noise is related to that. So, I ordered one of the special Macbook screwdrivers and hopefully when it comes in I won't hear this loud noise anymore. I'm not exchanging again, especially since this unit is perfect.

To the op. Does the noise you're talking about with your first MBPr happen when you flip it over from top to bottom or bottom to top. To me it almost sounds like the bottom of my case is impacting something because it isn't screwed in all the way. However, it's almost completely screwed in, probably a turn or two and it will be finished, so I'm not sure if that's the noise or not.

8. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

My original machine sounded terrible with this noise. It sounded as though the screws were not tight therefore making the bottom of the case loose, however there was also a rattle which sounded like a loose internal screw. I did read further into this and I have seen a couple of comments saying that the speaker assembly is only held in with two screws.

My new one makes the same creaking noise, although its not the bottom case. I think its the speaker assembly flexing inside as the machine is flexed/moved. :(

9. maretus macrumors newbie

That's funny, that's the same noise I heard, but only once. It sounded like a loose screw jingling around somewhere in there. However, I can't hear it anymore no matter what way I turn the device. Either it wasn't a screw, or it got caught on something.

I'll know more when my screwdriver comes in and I can take off the bottom. Hopefully if it is a loose screw, it won't be too hard for me to get out/put back. Otherwise, it's coming out. :p

My machine actually isn't creaking much right now. I can't tell if its just how I was turning it over before, or if all it took was a bit of use and things sunk into place?

I'll test out my speakers and see if there are any issues with them.

10. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I am starting to think that the factory is just rushing these way too much. Leaving loose screws and such and not handling them properly. I think some of the screen issues may also be due to being installed poorly as well.

11. maretus macrumors newbie

Can you check out something for me. Here is how I can reproduce the creak on my device.

With your device closed and upside down, flip it over by the two middle screws on each edge. Everytime I do this, it creaks a bunch and makes the most terrible sound that is scary. If I pick it up anywhere but those two screws, no bad sounds at all. As soon as I flip it over while touching that area, it creaks like crazy.

12. mattkidd, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

yep does exactly the same for me although on my first one I had this sound much more often from just general movement. The new one not so much but I still occasionally hear the creaking.

The heat on this replacement is definitely an issue also. Browsing the web doing basic tasks and you can feel the warmth across the arm rest/trackpad. Simply not the case with the other machine. Am I just being incredibly OCD or is there really an issue here!

13. bioyuki macrumors member

I just got my 2nd RMBP today and am disappointed to see that it too suffers from the needle/pinprick marks. I have one on the palmrest and two on the back cover.

Are you guys reporting this to AppleCare?

14. VFC macrumors 6502a

Please take a picture of both screens side by side before you return the one unit. In addition, you should run identical apps and record the CPU/GPU temps and fan speed of both units. Also record the serial number. It may help identify which factory they were manufactured in.

You would be of great service to the many people who have questions/issues with heat management and display quality.

15. maretus macrumors newbie

I think I've isolated the problem. My two middle screws are ever so slightly loose and right by those two screws the edge kind of curves out and around the new fan grates. The bottom panel is flexing as I flip the device over and hitting whatever is beneath it.

So, I've ordered the special Apple screwdriver and I'm going to tight the screw and see if that fixes things. The screw sound I was hearing is also related. It is the bottom panel moving slightly and then stopping which sounds like a screw moving around. I'm hoping that tightening the screw will prevent this from happening. The only thing that would prevent it from happening would possibly be the bottom panel being slightly warped or something. I don't think it is though, so I'm hoping for the screw tightening to work.

I'll let you know how it goes. Might be a simple solution.

16. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Ill have a go at taking some photos. I have to admit the tint probably isn't as bad as some of the photos I've seen on here in the past, but I can certainly notice the difference between the two screens, ill see what I can do in the morning.

Just been playing the same game on both machines. I didn't look at the temperatures ill do this also tomorrow, however the FPS on both games was about 10fps difference. This is Left 4 Dead 2 on full settings 1920x1220 and Dirt 2 Mac edition on High settings at 1920x1220.

I was getting 30fps on the replacement (charging)
    42+ on the original (on battery power)

Dirt 2 was worse
    20Fps on replacement
    45fps on orignal

Cant understand that at all :confused: The fans on the replacement were also running over 5000rpm and just over 4000rmp on the original. Ill look into it more tomorrow and share my results.

17. mac3609 macrumors member

sireShonBohn, can you take a picture of the flawed case and show it to me? I would like to see what kind of damages happened to your new MBP Retina.

18. mattkidd, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

I have taken some photos on my 4S this morning. I can still see the difference on the displays myself, I'm not sure whether or not you can see this from the photos? Let us know your thoughts ;)

http://www.mkiddr.com/images/1.JPG
    http://www.mkiddr.com/images/2.JPG
    http://www.mkiddr.com/images/3.JPG

After some further testing between performance on both machines I am a little undecided. I have a feeling the graphics has been improved on the replacement. I seem to actually after testing today to be getting better fps on the replacement model than on my original. I have also noticed UI seems much snappier. Has something changed in manufacturing? Even the Intel HD4000 seems to be snappier. I am still having a software issue in regards to the graphics switching however.

Heat so far seems to be the same on both machines. I can't help but feel the replacement is emitting more heat however. The battery on the replacement also doesn't seem as strong maybe it just needs some use out of it. Still getting the creaking sound and still much prefer the display on my original, will more than likely be asking for yet another replacement.

19. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

20. MacBird macrumors 6502

Have you considered getting/borrowing a calibrating device? This would take care of the yellow cast.

21. Hippocrates macrumors member

Somehow I'm worried that all these returned defective/less-than-perfect laptops will be shipped back to the factory, make a round trip, and sent out again to others unfortunate customers who place their orders later. Yes? No?

22. maretus macrumors newbie

They won't do that. They will sell them as refurbs.

As far as I can tell, quite a few of them are coming out of the factory with issues. This ridiculous creaking/cracking is starting to get more annoying. Anytime I pick up the device, creeeeak, pop!

23. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

I was also a little concerned about this, but I believe by consumer laws (uk) a product has to be new it cannot be sold as new if it has been used.

I was however concerned when I did see dirty hand prints on the packaging internally.

24. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

It would make sense if problematic machines go back to Apple for the engineering team to see what needs to be imporoved no?

I always thought when they have a new product release the original machines with issues go back to California....

25. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

That would make sense, I hope this is the case so they can rectify any of the issues within the first batch.

I hope my second replacement is more successful only time will tell now..