Yellow tint issue with iMac 27' Mid 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by froa, Nov 4, 2011.

1. froa macrumors member

Just got the brand new iMac 27' from Amazon yesterday, while I found there is yellow tint on the lower side of the display which make me unhappy. I took it to genius bar today and they told me they can't just replace it because it was not purchased from Apple.:( (where will cost me $200 more include tax) The only thing they can do is swapping the LCD panel.
    Then I have to put the brand new iMac :mad: in Apple Store for repair. Should I return it to Amazon instead ?

2. heliocentric Guest

return to amazon for refund.

buy from apple.

3. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Buy it from the Apple Website or the store and do the 3 yr Apple Care Protection Plan is worth it paying that much for a computer.

4. rossip macrumors regular

Did you buy it new from amazon? If so, apples warranty should cover the issue. Contact applecare. Sadly, my experience has been apple store employee's have no idea what they are talking about.

I did a google search for "yellow tint iMac" and it seems to be a pretty widespread issue, so you're definitely not alone.

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Yeah, Apple will cover the yellow tint by repairing the lcd, but warranty does not cover replacing a machine that wasn't purchased from Apple store or online. Doing this is like returning a toothbrush bought from Walmart at Target -_-"

6. rossip macrumors regular

Your first part might be right, but it's nothing like returning a toothbrush to target, neither walmart or target make toothbrushes!

A possible third option would be to send it to an apple repair center, which may be faster than an apple store repair or an exchange with amazon. That was the case when my powerbook's logic board died. Call applecare and they'll send a return box to your home, and it should be a pretty fast turnaround. Good luck.

This thread may also be helpful to you, it started around the 2009 model, but the issue persists with the 2011 model as well:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940

7. froa thread starter macrumors member

While one month ago when I have another display issue with my new MacBook Air 13' (which is also purchased from Amazon), I took it to Apple Store and sucessfully had it replaced with a brand new one. Thus I thought I can also just replace the iMac as well. :mad:

8. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Return it to Amazon. They have a very good return policy.

Then go to the Apple Education store, become a home schooler and get $100 off and a discount on Applecare.

9. rossip macrumors regular

This is exactly what i'm talking about, bring it back to an apple store and maybe this time you won't talk to someone who's making stuff up. It's completely arbitrary that they would replace your Air but not your iMac. If that fails, call applecare and explain the whole thing, including the macbook air part. Saying you're very dissatisfied with the costumer service you've been getting can also be helpful. Good luck!