Yellow tint on 15" Retina Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raima, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Raima macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I recently got my 15" retina macbook pro screen replace because of a faulty hinge.

The previous screen was a samsung and I was very happy with it.

When I got this macbook back, I was a bit surprised by the colour. I thought it was a bit off, but gave them the benefit of the doubt.

When I ran the screen test, it came back as a LP154WT1-SJA2.

I took it home as as I looked between my iMac 27" and the Retina Macbook Pro, you can see the distinct difference.

LP154WT1-SJA2 Yellow Tint.jpeg

I've included a pic of the colour difference. The iMac is on the left while the Macbook Pro is on the right.

I'm a bit torn on whether to take it back. It is used for business and I do image editing, so colour is important. I'm going to be without it for at least 3 days.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Take it back? Why would you do that? It's not faulty. You just need to calibrate it. By yourself a ColorMunki display, calibrate both displays and they will match.
    If colour is important, a calibrator is a must.

3. Raima thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response.

Your idea lead me to try to calibrate the display using the built in tools, but I can not get the calibrations right as the screen is tinted and can not display the range the iMac is displaying.

I also took another pic with a Macbook Air and you can see how far off the colour is.

LP154WT1-SJA2 Yellow Tint 2.jpeg

I think I'm going to have to take this back.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

So you clearly don't understand it's not faulty. You need a colormeter to calibrate it. Using the built in tools will not fix it. Nor will exchanging it. You don't have a faulty screen, just two mix matched colour temperatures. The only way round this issue is to buy (or borrow) a colormeter.

5. Fimeg macrumors regular

When you calibrate it (Using Apples Tools - it will work), leave most initial settings at their defaults. Wait until the end to adjust the white balance. I have the EXACT same issue, but I've made it manageable. Only weird yellow I see is when the mac is doing a software update and not using the calibrated profile.

6. Raima thread starter macrumors 6502

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and did some more research into ColorMunki.

I hopped onto Youtube and watched a demonstration of the ColorMunki in action. I don't believe colormunki or any colormeter will help, as the current screen output of white light is tinted and there is no way for the screen to compensate for it. Trying to compensate is like trying to adjust the back light color while there is a yellow filter in front of it.

It seems a lot more people also have the same issue.

A user by the name of Merch Visoiu said

There clearly is a quality issue with the new Retina Macbook Pro screens.

It sounds like your yellow tinting may not be that bad if you're able to correct it. I'm happy that it's worked for you.

I've tried using the calibration tools within apple and can not get it anywhere near what it used to look like on the old display or like the iMac/MBA that I have.The yellow tint is too far off the scale to white.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I bought a colour meter to calibrate a rMBP with similar yellow to this. I could only make it look overly blue even with a £170 datacolor calibrator (Spyder Elite).

In my opinion some of these displays Apple is shipping are just completely rubbish and unable to display a proper white. It just goes from yellow (warm) to blue (cold) with no white in the middle.

Take it back, get it replaced.

8. iChrist macrumors 65816

iChrist

Wow, you can tell a lot by looking at a tiny jpg. :rolleyes:

Obviously, there is a well documented issue with most of Apple's screens, and guess what? Apple doesn't care because most people spend $3k and take whatever junk they get in return.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I had my screen replaced a month ago for a creaky hinge under warranty, i had a Samsung too and came back as a SJ2 same as yours. Mine was good i adjusted the white a bit as i have done with most mac's i have had. If it was like your's i would take it back.
    Why 3 days, mine was done in 3 hours?