Yellow tint on 5s.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartinGuitar, Dec 9, 2013.

1. MartinGuitar macrumors newbie

Hi all.

First off, let me preface by saying that I have done strenuous amounts of research (both off and on MacRumors) pertaining to this, and I know that it is a very common occurrence. But the extent of my research is what led me to a greater amount of confusion.

I received my iPhone 5s in the mail this morning from Verizon, and let me say that I absolutely love it. If any of you have an iPhone 4 or 4s (and the financial means) - upgrade. It is a whole new experience.

While toying with it, I have found that I am a victim of the relentless "yellow" tint. Granted, not much, but enough for me to notice without comparing side-by-side with my iPhone 4 (which I did do after I had suspicion). I have heard many, many stories. "It's a glue that needs to dry. Give it a few days/weeks/months", "It's a defect", "It's intentional to pop the warmer colors". The list goes on.

So what I am asking is - from your personal experience (if you are/were a victim of the tint), did the yellow tint go away over time? Did it persist? Was it uniform throughout? (Mine is).

I already have an appointment scheduled with the genius bar to see if a swap is necessary. I just thought it may be beneficial to receive some [personal] stories about the tint. (Be it 4, 4s, 5, or 5s. But preferably the 5s).

Thanks, guys. I am sorry about beating a (more than likely) dead horse. I just need to know the best course of action.

Thanks again. :apple:

TL;DR - New iPhone 5s has yellow tint. Permanent? Temporary? Personal experience responses (or highly informed responses) only, please.

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

I would exchange if you can. Don't assume it will go away. Btw did you order from Verizon or from Apple? If you ordered from Verizon can you get an exchange direct from an Apple store?

Edit: btw I had yellow tint that didn't go away so I returned it with my 2 week return window.

3. MartinGuitar thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably will exchange it. I agree, I see no logical reasoning why it'd go away.

Yes, I ordered my 5s via Verizon online. I just asked a representative (what you asked me) via Apple Chat, and they said no. However, given that I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow afternoon, I will see if they can (replace it) despite it being purchased from Verizon online.

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your new iPhone and stop looking for minor defects would be my advise. This forum will drive you mad with the lengths people go to prove their devices are not flawless in every possible way. Some guy has made images you can load on your device and evaluate every possible pixel. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

5. MartinGuitar thread starter macrumors newbie

@dumastudetto - I respect your "stop picking out small problems" mentality. I really do. However, when I drop $300 on a new device (32gb), and it isn't quite how it is supposed to be, I prefer to remedy it. Especially when Apple will (most likely) fix/replace it right away.

6. lilbiscu1t macrumors newbie

My gray 5S never had that, ordered unlocked from apple

7. AJAAY macrumors regular

Obviously it brothers you, so replace it. Some people live with it, some people prefer the yellow tint (warmer screen). My 5 had the blue tint (cool,crisp). My 5S has the warmer tint, I'd prefer the bluer tint, but it's definitely not something I would return my device over.

8. gCloud macrumors 6502a

If Genius Bar was to replace it would be with a service unit which may or may not be refurbished, I think you are better off asking for replacement from the point of purchase (if you are still within return period) where you will receive a new retail unit.

9. nox5 macrumors 6502

10. cstm macrumors regular

replacement will propably have a worse screen.

11. aixporter macrumors member

aixporter

i brought in a similar 5s for return and the apple store employee immediately said, "yep.. the screen should definitely not be this yellow" and refunded me my money.

12. radiologyman macrumors 6502

First 5s was dirty yellow, with poor contrast. I waited a month, did not go away. Apple store replacement was a lot better and feels like further improved or grew on me with time as now I have great whites. I must say that colors are more vivid on 5s in comparison to 5 I had.