Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
So I just got my new rMBP 15".
And immediately when I start it i notice that the screen has a Yellow tint in the lower left corner.
I thought this issue had been resolved.....
My screen is a: LSN154YL01-A01
Its not the "glue spots", that apparently is supposed to get away after some using. This is a tint over the whole lower left 1/4 of the screen. Its not really a severe tint, but its still very noticeable when you have a white background.
The screen looks kind of dirty on the left side.

I went back to the store just 1h after i had bought the machine, and showed them the issue. And they ofc saw the same thing as i did. They ordered a new machine for me and i get to keep this one until the new one arrives.
So I'm getting it sorted out, but its still really annoying to have to go trough all that hassle.

Am I the only one having this problem atm?
Or have anyone else the same issue?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
This is a common issue with IPS displays and not specific to Apple. My first couple rMBPs had yellow tinting as well (LG panels).

I've also seen this on iPhones, iPads, Dell IPS monitors, etc.

It won't go away, it isn't glue, and your only recourse is exhanging until satisified.

Good luck.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
This is a common issue with IPS displays and not specific to Apple. My first couple rMBPs had yellow tinting as well (LG panels).

I've also seen this on iPhones, iPads, Dell IPS monitors, etc.

It won't go away, it isn't glue, and your only recourse is exhanging until satisified.

Good luck.

I REALLY hope the next one have the same issue. Would hate to get stuck in a exchange loop like many others have.

yokken

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I have an LG screen on my new 15" and it appears to have a bit of a warm tint to it. Now... I tend to prefer slightly warmer displays over colder displays (orange-white vs blue-white) so it doesn't really bother me... but I don't want to be here a year later thinking why the hell didn't I exchange it when I had the opportunity? I don't want to play the exchange lottery for the next month but I also don't want to be screwed later down the road with image retention or a worsened tint.

What do you guys/gals think I should do?

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
I have an LG screen on my new 15" and it appears to have a bit of a warm tint to it. Now... I tend to prefer slightly warmer displays over colder displays (orange-white vs blue-white) so it doesn't really bother me... but I don't want to be here a year later thinking why the hell didn't I exchange it when I had the opportunity? I don't want to play the exchange lottery for the next month but I also don't want to be screwed later down the road with image retention or a worsened tint.

What do you guys/gals think I should do?

When you say "new 15-inch" do you mean the most current? AFAIK LG fixed the IR issues. Have you tried calibrating your display? Is the warm tone over the whole screen?

yokken

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
When you say "new 15-inch" do you mean the most current? AFAIK LG fixed the IR issues. Have you tried calibrating your display? Is the warm tone over the whole screen?

The whole screen has a warm tint, not just one side of it. It's the brand new Haswell 15"/2.3GHz/16GB/512GB/750M model. I swear I saw a trail from a Finder window yesterday but I didn't pay too much attention to it. I'm going to do some tests for ghosting when I get home as well.

As for calibrating, I don't have professional calibration tools so I can't calibrate it myself and I'm not going to pay to have a display calibrated. I don't do any color-sensitive work like photo or video editing, but I do like accurate (or mostly-accurate) colors. Like I said, the tint doesn't bother me a LOT but if I find hard evidence of ghosting, I think I will exchange it until I get a Samsung panel.

I don't want to fuel any more hype about IR or yellow tints on displays, but the fact remains... I compared a finder window on my new rMBP to a finder window on a fairly accurate IPS display (HP ZR2440w) and the HP looked much closer to 6500K than the rMBP display did.

I'll report back with findings. I really just want to be happy with this machine that I just paid $2600 for and not get the runaround from Apple Support, but then again... I did just pay $2600 for a laptop that's supposed to last me 5 years. It better be damn near perfect if you ask me. I don't need PERFECTION... but you'd expect it to be pretty close for that kind of money.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
So basically there is still LG and Samsung displays.
I thought i heard there would only be one of them now.
But didn't they fix the IR and the warm colors on those panels?
Didn't they upgrade to newer versions that don't have that issue?

I think my issue is more of a assembly issue. At least as i understood it.

----------

What model numbers on your displays do you guys have?

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
So basically there is still LG and Samsung displays.
I thought i heard there would only be one of them now.
But didn't they fix the IR and the warm colors on those panels?
Didn't they upgrade to newer versions that don't have that issue?

I think my issue is more of a assembly issue. At least as i understood it.

----------

What model numbers on your displays do you guys have?
The issues with yellowish tints and image retention plagued different manufacturers. LG displays have cooler whites with no yellow tints while having image retention - while samsung displays had yellowish tints with no image retention.

If you got a warmer screen it would seem possible to me that they got a samsung display - not the other way around.

These panels also tend to have yellowish tint at certain viewing angles. On my 13" the screen gets warmer if I'm looking at it from above - but straight on the colors get much cooler (indicating I have a LG display, but I have no way of knowing for certain as we can't see that on 13" models).

zOlid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
The issues with yellowish tints and image retention plagued different manufacturers. LG displays have cooler whites with no yellow tints while having image retention - while samsung displays had yellowish tints with no image retention.

If you got a warmer screen it would seem possible to me that they got a samsung display - not the other way around.

These panels also tend to have yellowish tint at certain viewing angles. On my 13" the screen gets warmer if I'm looking at it from above - but straight on the colors get much cooler (indicating I have a LG display, but I have no way of knowing for certain as we can't see that on 13" models).

I heard that the LG displays are updated and don't have IR no more!?
I rather have a LG if that is the case, since i like colder colors then warmer.
But my issue is not because of that.

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
The whole screen has a warm tint, not just one side of it. It's the brand new Haswell 15"/2.3GHz/16GB/512GB/750M model. I swear I saw a trail from a Finder window yesterday but I didn't pay too much attention to it. I'm going to do some tests for ghosting when I get home as well.

As for calibrating, I don't have professional calibration tools so I can't calibrate it myself and I'm not going to pay to have a display calibrated. I don't do any color-sensitive work like photo or video editing, but I do like accurate (or mostly-accurate) colors. Like I said, the tint doesn't bother me a LOT but if I find hard evidence of ghosting, I think I will exchange it until I get a Samsung panel.

I don't want to fuel any more hype about IR or yellow tints on displays, but the fact remains... I compared a finder window on my new rMBP to a finder window on a fairly accurate IPS display (HP ZR2440w) and the HP looked much closer to 6500K than the rMBP display did.

I'll report back with findings. I really just want to be happy with this machine that I just paid $2600 for and not get the runaround from Apple Support, but then again... I did just pay $2600 for a laptop that's supposed to last me 5 years. It better be damn near perfect if you ask me. I don't need PERFECTION... but you'd expect it to be pretty close for that kind of money.

You can calibrate it fairly well using the built-in calibration too in OS X. Any calibration past that requires hardware calibration. I have an LG panel (after having the first replaced for IR issues, which, if you had them, you'd definitely notice... it wouldn't be ghosting trailing a moving window, it'd look like burn-in on a plasma tv) and my colors are right on. It's extremely difficult to get different monitors to match perfectly. So comparing your Retina screen to your HP is kind of pointless. Even with a Spyder4, my ACD and rMBP are only a close, but not perfect, match.

yokken

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Okay, so... after getting home I set a checkerboard background on the MBP for 5 minutes on full brightness. Then I set it to a dark gray background -- no image retention! I also moved a fully black browser tab on there to verify. Now, I could leave the checkerboard on there for an hour and then try it, but I'll only try that if people really want me to.

Again, the warm tint doesn't bother me that much, and it makes the blacks reeeally black... But there is definitely a tint. It's more pronounced in this picture than it is in person right now, because my phone had to focus on the monitors to prevent overexposure. An HDR picture didn't quite capture it either.

Zbj3JZv.jpg

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
here's pic of mine if that helps -new Haswell 15-1tb-2.6

I don't know what display it is-and don't want to check! Do you guys think this looks ok?

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,948

ja12ke

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
So I just got my new rMBP 15".
And immediately when I start it i notice that the screen has a Yellow tint in the lower left corner.
I thought this issue had been resolved.....
My screen is a: LSN154YL01-A01
Its not the "glue spots", that apparently is supposed to get away after some using. This is a tint over the whole lower left 1/4 of the screen. Its not really a severe tint, but its still very noticeable when you have a white background.
The screen looks kind of dirty on the left side.

I went back to the store just 1h after i had bought the machine, and showed them the issue. And they ofc saw the same thing as i did. They ordered a new machine for me and i get to keep this one until the new one arrives.
So I'm getting it sorted out, but its still really annoying to have to go trough all that hassle.

Am I the only one having this problem atm?
Or have anyone else the same issue?

I have a new Haswell 13 rmbp and have the yellow tinting at the lower left portion of the panel also. I've setup a return already...Hopefully the next won't have such issue...

yokken

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
here's pic of mine if that helps -new Haswell 15-1tb-2.6

I don't know what display it is-and don't want to check! Do you guys think this looks ok?

It looks a little warm to me, even on my HP monitor, which is definitely whiter than the MBP... which I'm kinda okay with. As long as it doesn't get any more tinted.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
+1

Set up a return and ordered another. Disappointing to hear it plagues the 13" Retina too it means the chances of getting a dingy screen is higher than not getting one.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
It looks a little warm to me, even on my HP monitor, which is definitely whiter than the MBP... which I'm kinda okay with. As long as it doesn't get any more tinted.

Thanks for the reply-I don't mind the "warmth," but am more concerned about the evenness. I felt that the left side was yellow than the right or the right side had a pink hue of some sort. Very slight though, and not sure if it's anything since it's so subtle...

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I've had 3 of the 15'' units.

1 of them had a warmer, yellower tint. (other flaws: bottom of case had terrible creaking problem if any pressure was put on it)

1 of them had uneven whiteness - could see very faint foggy / darker areas (other flaws: same creaking problem, but also creaked around palm rest area)

1 of them (the one I am keeping), is perfect color, perfect distribution. (other flaws: NONE!)

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I just picked up a 13" today and it has a slight yellowing on the left side. A bit of a bummer, but at least I can swap it at the store easily.

yokken

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply-I don't mind the "warmth," but am more concerned about the evenness. I felt that the left side was yellow than the right or the right side had a pink hue of some sort. Very slight though, and not sure if it's anything since it's so subtle...

I'd ask other people to verify, but don't tell them what you see. Just ask them if they see anything wrong with it or what they think of it. If you tell them what you see before they look at it, they're gonna end up seeing it too since you suggested the idea to them.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
1 of them had a warmer, yellower tint. (other flaws: bottom of case had terrible creaking problem if any pressure was put on it)

This describes exactly the Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro I'm on now. Genius Bar refuses to correct the yellow tint or creaking case.

Hemlis

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Oh boy, thanks to this thread, I took a closer look at my 13in screen. It appears that the left half of the screen has a yellow tint when compared to the right. Furthermore, there sees to be a bit of a dark shadow at the edge of the screen on the left. It is not uniform top to down however it is present. I plan on bringing it back to the store first thing tomorrow.

Would I be able to exchange laptops in store? Would it even make a difference since they may all be from the same batch?

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Oh boy, thanks to this thread, I took a closer look at my 13in screen. It appears that the left half of the screen has a yellow tint when compared to the right. Furthermore, there sees to be a bit of a dark shadow at the edge of the screen on the left. It is not uniform top to down however it is present. I plan on bringing it back to the store first thing tomorrow.

Would I be able to exchange laptops in store? Would it even make a difference since they may all be from the same batch?

No, batch should not make any difference for LCD screen. Go ahead and take your chances exchanging it. Just be aware that it is pretty rare to find a perfect LCD screen... so there will have to be some point where you settle. Good rule is - if you don't notice it in daily operation, just keep it.

----------

This describes exactly the Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro I'm on now. Genius Bar refuses to correct the yellow tint or creaking case.

I can see them refusing to correct the yellow tint... but the creaking case, IMO, is inexcusable and should be fixed. I would make a big stink at the store if it were me (unless it was misuse that created the creaking issue).

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
I can see them refusing to correct the yellow tint... but the creaking case, IMO, is inexcusable and should be fixed. I would make a big stink at the store if it were me (unless it was misuse that created the creaking issue).

OK, I'll go back in to the Genius Bar for the 4th time about the creaking case. After the second time I bought a pentalobe screwdriver online and removed the bottom case myself which was a very bad idea because I stripped the screws putting the case back on. But on my 3rd visit they fixed the stripped screws for me for free. How they managed to remove stripped screws I have absolutely no idea. That was impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.