Yellow Tint on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teeteetee, Jul 9, 2012.

1. teeteetee macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I have just received the new 2012 13'' i5 MacBook Pro with the standard configuration.

The screen is noticeably yellow, especially on white. It is also certainly more yellowish compared to the previous macbook pro models.

Any suggestions or ideas please?

Tee

2. heloise macrumors member

Take it to the apple store for replacement. This is not normal.

3. teeteetee thread starter macrumors newbie

thx mate :) ill try!

4. heloise macrumors member

5. teeteetee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep! :)

6. zebualvi macrumors newbie

Mine has a warm (Yellow) display as well, compared to my 2011 mbp which has a colder (bluish) display. My question is - does every rmbp come with warmer display or is it just limited to a certain display supplier?

Its a very nice display though though yellowness was a bit jarring at first.

7. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Have you guys tried changing the color calibration?

8. teeteetee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yepppp. Couldnt get it to look the same as the previous model.

9. teeteetee thread starter macrumors newbie

Decided to return it for a refund. Heard a lot of people have the same issue, dont wanna risk getting a new onee. :(

10. mvdb macrumors newbie

My new retina MacBook Pro came with a distinctly yellow screen (compared to my previous MacBook Pro and compared to my iPhone):

[​IMG]

I called Apple and they sent me a replacement. However, the replacement is just as yellow:

[​IMG]

Is this normal or did I just get bad luck with two lemons? Honestly, if this is normal, it looks terrible :(

11. heloise macrumors member

My RMBP is not noticeably yellow compared to my '10 MBA but I also have a bad eye for such things. You could compare it to a RMBP at the apple store.

12. teeteetee thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps you can try taking it to a store near you so that you can compare with another rMBP? I have seen one at a store, dont think it is as yellow. but keep in mind that i didnt have another one to compare with.

try asking for a refund if you want.

I really want one without a yellow screen :(:(:(:(

13. teeteetee thread starter macrumors newbie

How about people who have just recieved thier macbooks? Any improvement on the issue?

14. ryboross macrumors newbie

I have the Yellowish tint!

Hey there, I have the tint as well. This is my first day of use with the new retina MBP

Anyone heard anything from Apple?

Attached Files:

15. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Based on the two photos posted in this thread I would say the more "yellow" ones have the right white point while the previous macbook pros were too blue.

16. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Second day user of rMBP. No yellow tint, more on white/bluish.

17. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Mine's slightly yellow as well. I'm not gonna go through the exchange hassle over it (besides, it's really my wife's computer and she couldn't care less).

18. philophob macrumors newbie

I exchanged my 1st MBPr with new unit today. (because of the ghosting images)

Right out of the box, I can see that the MBPr has more yellow tinted screen compared to my GF's MBA 13.

I think this is also due to 20~25% less brightness with MBPr display.
    If you decrease the brightness, MBA screen becomes a bit darker and it seems to me the screen becomes a bit yellowish.

Can someone test this if they have an extra MBA or MBP previous model?

Or even better if someone has MBP retina with samsung screen, can you post the screen with full brightness comparing to MBA or MBP previous models?

I am going to go get another exchange if this yellow tinted screen is not on samsung screen MBP retina.

After all, I paid $3000 for the retina display and if the screen isn't working as intended, it is time for a refund.

19. Kaske macrumors newbie

Kaske

I’ve just replaced my LG Retina screen for a Samsung. Although I have no screen flickering and no image retention that I had I do have a yellow tint. LG did have the serious issues but it had almost perfect colors. I really miss that.

Now, I’m not really sure if I want to test my luck for another replacement because I could probably live with the yellow tint (color calibrated to minimize the effect as much as possible, of course), but I couldn’t possibly endure the dreadful screen flickering I experienced on LG.

Still thinking…

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My 2011 MBP also came with a more yellow tint than my older 2007 MBP. I always thought that this is on purpose to give a more natural look. It's a bit weird when you compare them side by side, but if you just work on one of them you get used to it.

21. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

what did u end up doing

what did you end up doing

22. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

The classic yellow tint. This has been an issue with displays as long as I can remember.

Sometimes warmer is better than colder, but not excessively so. If you feel the tint is too strong, I would definitely return/exchange it.

Exactly what I meant.

23. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

whats ur thoughts on the white points of the lg and samsung retina screens?

24. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

I don't actually own a rMBP (yet). Waiting for Haswell, so I don't have direct exposure to both displays. There are a few threads here dedicated to dissecting both. :)

25. Shmanky, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

Shmanky macrumors regular

Bought a 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Got a nice blue screen that developed white spots. Didn't check the manufacturer. Got the display replaced and the replacement has a yellow-greenish tint. The display model is LSN154YL01001, a Samsung. Went to the Genius Bar and the guy agreed it was more yellow but it was within Apple's specifications so he didn't replace it.

So here it is, folks. This is what Apple sells you for $2,200. Oh yeah, the case also creaks when you press down around the trackpad. Brought it in twice for that and it still creaks. You might as well buy a $400 Acer notebook and get better build quality.

[​IMG]