Yellow tint screen rMbp 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oryor, Oct 17, 2012.

1. oryor macrumors newbie

Hi, Guy
    Just got it for 2 days.
    Today I just noticed the yellow tint on the right side of the screen (left side is OK).

Should I return it and swap for a new one? But it might not be lucky like this time as I got Samsung screen.

Is it acceptable. I seen many display macbook at the store has much more yellow tint (appear in only one side of the screen) than mine.

Attached Files:

2. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

I would call Applecare and ask for a replacement.

3. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Maybe it is the picture, but the right side of you screen seems yellower then the left side...

4. oryor thread starter macrumors newbie

More pic

Attached Files:

5. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

I don't find it so yellow. I think it's whites are pretty accurate. I only notice your right side of the screen is a bit darker.

However make no mistake, the "perfect" LCD doesn't excist. There will be always tiny imperfections.

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Taking a picture and asking if the "color/whites/whatever" look off, is not a good way to do it.

One your camera is altering the colors/white. Then people viewing the picture's display will also alter it, unless their display is calibrated properly, and probably safe to say 90% aren't.

More than likely you are used to a much cooler color temp (more blue, whites "appear" more white, but in reality they are blue). Since the "new iPad" Apple has been trying to move their display's to the sRGB standard, and have a pretty good job. Problem is, most of the devices out there (TV's, Monitors, phones etc....) are tweaked towards a cooler temp cause it appears "whiter/brighter". Most have become used to that, so when they see a display that is closer to a standard (like sRGB, which is very close to the HDTV standard of Rec. 709), they think it doesn't look right.

First suggestion would be, DO NOT TAKE IT BACK :) You have a Samsung display.

Second, google a gray scale gradient pattern. View it, and look for color in the shades of gray (this can be difficult, if you are not familiar with that to really look for).

Third, and what I would really do. Buy a colorimeter (the X-Rite iDisplay Pro) is inexpensive and very good. And calibrate your display. It comes with software, but I found BasicColor5 (no I am not a rep lol) to work much better, and you get a 14-day trial. If you cannot get your Delta E (the software will give you a graph) to low levels, then I would say you have a faulty display.

7. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Hi, this kinda sparked my interest so I enhanced the yellow in your pictures to the extreme and there's in fact an uneven distribution of yellow on the right side, so at least you're not bonkers. The other screenshot shows the same pattern.

You should take it with a massive load of salt, as your images are quite crappy and the camera will distort it. The actual difference is tiny though, the yellow can't be more than a very few percent off, likely most people wouldn't even notic, heck, even my display could have that right now but ignorance is a bliss. It is very much possible that this is something that all displays have but you may try your luck.

If you take pictures of screens in the dark like that, you'll always get really bad looking results.

https://www.google.de/search?q=backlight+bleeding&tbm=isch

Attached Files:

• bla.jpg
      bla.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  8. oryor thread starter macrumors newbie

Comparing to 1 year old Macbook 13"

Attached Files:

9. ljx718 macrumors 6502

why is your mouse pad so dirty

10. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Did you read my post? You are now comparing a display that apple has tried to calibrate to a standard, to a display that comes from the factory way to "cool".

The only way to know 100% is to buy a colorimeter. And even once you do that, and say your display is to "yellow". You will more than likely be able to fix it with a proper calibration.

The average Delta E (Think color error, most say anything less than 3 is invisible from the human eye), after calibration of my rMBP (with Samsung display) was .24. That is .24, freaking insanely good.