Yellow tint with new mbp 15 inch base model AG

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Apr 11, 2011.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hello there,

I have received my new mbp 15 inch. This computer is awesome and it's night and day with the 2.4ghz peryn mbp I had. Now, I still have the yellow tint issued (I had it with my peryn) and I am really sad to see this problem hasn't been resolved yet. The screen that I have is the samsung one 9CB7 I think?

Do people really don't see it or don't mind having it? If I ask apple for an exchange (I still am within 14 days), how are the chances of getting the same panel with the same problem again??

I heard the LG panels don't have that issue with the 2011 models...

I don't know what to do? Is it better to go to the apple store and have them fix the screen? Can I ask for a specific LG screen?

Thanks a lot !

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Have you tried calibrating colors?

Preferences, Displays, Colors.

3. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but manual calibration doesn't change much anyways...but it's still there...

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Once you get to the White Point section, you can move the slider from warm to cool... away from yellow towards blue... and find a happy median, hopefully.

5. NicktheNorse macrumors member

Until Apple stop using cheap and nasty panels then this yellow tint issue will not go away. It has been a "feature" of the 15" panel for many years - some people are bothered by it, some people aren't.

6. Usquebaugh macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Curious why you think they're cheap and nasty? Perhaps they have flaws but I'm pretty sure they are some of the better / best notebook screens you can get.

7. NicktheNorse macrumors member

They have incredibly poor viewing angles and as a result it doesn't matter how much calibration you attempt to do - it's impossible to get an accurate colour reproduction across the entirety of the screen. Yes they are bright and colourful, but they are still poor quality TN panels (although you could argue all TN panels are pretty ******...).

Then you have the fact that all the 15" HR panels have this yellow tint problem. I went through 6 different macbooks last summer in the attempt to find an acceptable screen and in the end I ended up asking for a refund (eventually bought a 13").

8. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

I feel ya, I'm actually on my 3rd replacement first one dead pixels. Last two yellow tinted screen. New one is much better, it's actually a Samsung panel. Don't waste your time at the Apple store, just ask for an advance replacement, they will build one and ship it out to you while you are using the one you have.

9. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I've got a yellow tinted screen. Problem is, I bring it in, and the Geniuses just laugh and say it's fine.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

not seeing much of any difference on my screen. Not sure if I was doing it right though lol. I just maximized it and looked around. Looked white all over cept for the gray blocks...