Yellow Tint??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2015Girl, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 2015Girl macrumors regular

2015Girl

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Doesn't look like it.

Pull up google.com on safari or about:blank in landscape mode for a blank white screen

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I wouldn't say so either. Your photos are in general shifted towards 2800K, as a result of your room's lighting, but the phone itself looks to be in balance.

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Seems more like either the lighting in the room or the white point setting on the camera than the phone though

6. darksithpro macrumors regular

Just imagine when Apple goes to OLED, people will be posting about the bluish tint, and the over saturated colors.

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

LCD-backlights are really quite blue to begin with. A proper IPS-LCD and a proper OLED screen will both have the same white-point. And a lot of OLED screens on the market have been oversaturated, but again, they don't have to be. Hold the Apple Watch display next to an iPhone. Doesn't look all that different to my eyes.

8. darksithpro macrumors regular

I remember when the S7 Edge first came out and my friend put it beside my 6S+. The Samsung OLED absolutely destroyed my LCD screen, with it's eye-popping colors and contrast, it was just so much more profound. Mine looked like an old, washed out screen from 2012.

9. Relentless Power, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

10. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Could you please repost IMG_4414.JPG again. It's the best one to compare the screen, but I can't open it in TaT, only 4412 can be.

Cheers

11. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

This is what we call "inaccurate colour reproduction". If you set the S7 to actually target sRGB instead of "vivid colours" in the developer menu, you'll see it looking a lot more like your 6S+, which is calibrated for accurate colours, true to the captured/designed colours. If even muted colours are "eye-popping", then the ones that are actually meant to grab your attention, don't.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

LEDs can come in all different color temperatures.

13. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Yes, of course - but the standard is a backlight that's around 6500K, which is rather blue. It's the whitepoint for sRGB, Adobe RGB, and I think also DCI-P3

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Like I said all different color temps. I do not think Apple used the 6500k LEDs in the iPhone 7 as most models are much warmer. I do not think there is a standard but only a range that the phone makers try to stay within. 6500k is too blue so I am glad that it is not their standard. They do attempt to match the color temps on the same screen

Glad when the OLED screens get here so we can not worry about the LEDs anymore. Owners will find something else!

15. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

There isn't a standard for the backlight itself no, but there is a standard for white points. Obviously the backlight used is only one factor, and you can just switch all colours on the screen to get a specific whitepoint based on the backlight, but the easiest is using the whitepoint colour for the backlight. Apple products, pretty much all of them, hit the 6504K whitepoint pretty spot on.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not from my experiences. I can lay all of my Apple devices out on a table with the same screen on each and see different color temps for each. I have even tested some of the screens with my Spyder and they are far from all being "6504k"

17. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I mean, I assume you've not made such a mistake, but since we can all make blunders, Night Shift wasn't enabled, right?
    Which devices are we talking?
    I have iPhone 6, MacBook Pro 2014 - 15", iMac 5K (2014) and iPad Air (not 2), and aside from the Air being a bit off, they're all within spitting distance of each other in the proverbial sense.

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Three different model iPads, two iPod touches, two iPhone 7 and one 7+ and my 27" iMac.

No nightshift was not in play and each screen was slightly different on color temp, the 7's well really warm compared to the others. The hottest was likely 6500k and it is my iMac. The iMac looked blue compared to all the other devices except the iPod touch which was close to the iMac.

You idea of "spitting distance" and mine are worlds apart. When I am working in Photoshop, for me there is no "spitting distance of each other in the proverbial sense"

I do not think we will agree on this but too many people here complain about the LED backlights being all over the place or in your case not being within "spitting distance of each other in the proverbial sense"

You prove my point when you say your iPad is not at 6504k, it was a bit off.

"Night Shift wasn't enabled, right?" LOL!

I am done here, enjoy.

19. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

The main faults of 5/5c/5s/SE 4" panel is vertical 'interlacing' and yellow banding up top

my SE exhibits the latter a little, but I dont care considering obviously runny vertical lines pisses me off way more

and I dont have loose buttons either (vol or sleep button)

20. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Or perhaps I've just gotten lucky with my set of panels. You're welcome to come by and have a look for yourself, and if you have a spectrometer, see if the differences aren't, as I suspect, less than an average DeltaE of 2.

You're right that out of the four devices I've compared side-by-side, there is one outlier, which after all is 25%. However, if I recall, the iPad Air came out prior to Apple calibrating displays from the factory.

I really didn't mean for that to be condescending, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. As I said we can all make stupid mistakes and I've made my fair share. I wasn't in any way trying to imply that you'd consciously miss it or anything.

PS. I do semi-pro colour grading for film, so I do in fact pay quite close attention to this stuff. I realise you also mentioned doing work with Photoshop, so my point is merely that we shouldn't question each others' merits in terms of judgement, since we have no idea of the other person's abilities, uses and the like. As a starting point, assuming competence is preferred I find. Although it may often come with disappointments, it avoids unnecessary negativity and potential insults.
    When I say "within spitting distance", I mean barely perceivable by the human eye, i.e. less than a DeltaE of 2.

21. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

It really would be nice if OP could chime in again in her own thread?!

Cheers

22. 2015Girl thread starter macrumors regular

2015Girl

Sorry I forgot.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    IMG_4412.JPG IMG_4413.JPG IMG_4414.JPG IMG_4415.JPG