Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATHmathieu

macrumors regular
Original poster
The yellowing on my 16GB iPhone 4 has gotten even worse now that I actually took it outside for the day using it in the sun and shade (temps were about 90F today). Using a few apps at a time the device did heat up qucikly.

Used the flashlight app and the yellow pea sized dot in the upper left corner has now started to bleed downwards in a lighter shade of yellow all the way to the bottom left corner!

Also, a new yellow smaller dot has formed in the mid/upper right mid-section of the phone and is also started to bleed downwards in a lighter shade. It almost looks like a streak.

Took the phone indoor in the AC for an hour to cool down and the streaks went away , but could still see the yellowish dots.

Then, took the phone back outside for an hour or so and the streaks came back and were much more visible.

This thing is getting worse the warmer it gets! It almost looks like smeared residue now once it gets really hot. Makes me wonder what type of petro-chemical I'm putting near my face.

I love the phone, and hopefully will get a new one at the store tomorrow.

:(

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Go to the tech specs, it can't be in 90 degree weather. Maybe that's the issue?

mobius999

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Go to the tech specs, it can't be in 90 degree weather. Maybe that's the issue?

Not sure what you're reading, but the tech specs on Apple's site state a 113 degree threshold non operational and a 95 degree threshold in use. So 90 degrees should be fine.

Those numbers kinda surprise me actually. This phone isn't made to work during the summer I guess. Even as far north as New England we reach 100 degrees in the summer.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Be glad you're not here in AZ.
110 today and 113 tomorrow.

95 degree max operational temp is ridiculous.
We hover at the 100 to 110 degree mark for 3 months of the year in the southwest.

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I would just exchange your phone. The service exchange phones that they have in stock are all brand new (non refurbs). The problem is heat related and i doubt will ever go away. Just exchange them at your apple store, mine is perfect now.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
These dots will disappear over time/usage. I'm not sure how long it'll take or if what I've been reading is in fact true. I would give it at least a day, maybe two, and see if the problem gets worse or better during that time.

ATHmathieu

macrumors regular
Original poster
I would just exchange your phone. The service exchange phones that they have in stock are all brand new (non refurbs). The problem is heat related and i doubt will ever go away. Just exchange them at your apple store, mine is perfect now.

The store won't let me exchange it until tomorrow because they said there are no geniuses available today. They are all working on selling new phones and not doing diagnostics.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

ATHmathieu said:

The store won't let me exchange it until tomorrow because they said there are no geniuses available today. They are all working on selling new phones and not doing diagnostics.

Makes sense, considering they're in the middle of a major product launch.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Not sure what you're reading, but the tech specs on Apple's site state a 113 degree threshold non operational and a 95 degree threshold in use. So 90 degrees should be fine.

Those numbers kinda surprise me actually. This phone isn't made to work during the summer I guess. Even as far north as New England we reach 100 degrees in the summer.

There's something I'm not sure of regarding operating temperatures. Are they talking about the temps in a room/outside or is it the device reaching that temperature from being exposed to heat for too long?

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008

Here in Houston I was able to replace my phone twice today, first because of proximity sensor issues, and then because of a yellow screen. Talk to a manager and they will definitely get you to a genius right away. If you are in Houston, Memorial City Apple Store is the place to be! They still had well over 200 people in line at 4pm and still took the time to help me out a 2nd time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.