Yellowish 32GB screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 7even, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 7even macrumors 6502a

I'm on my 2nd 32GB iPod Touch, and for some reason the screen has a yellow cast compared to a couple of 16GB models I tried before. Notice the darker space bar and a yellowing around the time @ the top. It's a week 5 like the last 32gb I had.

It's strange because there are no negative blacks or any other weirdness going on, but this screen is visibly more yellow / duller than my last 16gb Touch. Does anyone else have something like this going on?

I want a replacement but I think Apple may be sick of me already (long story) and I'm afraid all the 32GB models are like this at the moment. Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Attached Files:

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

NEW MACBOOK PROS ARE COMING! Lmao. The spare screens they use for the mbp that have the yellow cast on the bottom are being used for the iPod touch!

Give it back. That's terrible.

3. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Man that's horrible! I'm using my 32GB iPod Touch to view this thread and can easily tell how yellow your screen is compared to mine. Not to mention the banding. I turned my brightness all the way down on mine and it still does not have the gradient that yours does.

I would absolutely ask Apple to replace it. Apple may be sick of dealing with you but that does not negate the fact that you have a bad screen.

4. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great! That's 2 screens like that in a row, I *heart* my luck :(

5. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it IS just me? Guess that's good :D Maybe if I get a replacement it'll be OK this time.

6. AppleCrisp macrumors member

oh damn i just got a 32 gig and i think my problems actually worse than you!:( In videos the top control bar with the scrubber is half black and half light gray... is this normal? And now that you mentioned it the title bar looks very yellow...is it worth returning if its engraved?

7. TUD macrumors regular

I believe Apple will not accept returns/exchanges on engraved iPods.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

If there's a problem with it, they have to allow a return or exchange. But they don't want to deal with people returning engraved iPods just because they don't like it.

9. TUD macrumors regular

Agree... I am sure if it is found defective they will repair it or Apple replaces it with a refurb.

10. TP-Eric macrumors member

Out of curiosity, what week are these yellowed units?

11. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I bet if you view that yellow screenshot on one of the negative-screen 16GBs, it looks just fine. :rolleyes:

Is it a new groundrule that you have to avoid any new Apple product for at least the first month? Sure is seeming that way.

OP, don't take no for an answer. For 500 bucks, you should be fully satisfied.

12. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

They're working on it :) Hopefully the next one will be fine. I just want my Touch :(

Both the ones I saw were week 5.

13. TP-Eric macrumors member

Must be just a portion of that batch then. I have a Week 5 and the screen is fine.

14. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

as an update to this old thread, I finally got a replacement 32gb, week 9. The screen is damn near perfect so I'm satisfied :D posting this from the iPod itself.

15. cjmal macrumors 6502

No yellow, no negatives? I recently bought an 8GB iPod Touch (week 5) and received one with a negative screen. Your post kinda makes me want to go out and try again :)

16. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Don't forget that after your third replacement you're entitled to a brand new iPod (new box, etc). Well, that is the case in the UK, at least.

17. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Lol, just noticed this post.

18. 7even thread starter macrumors 6502a

Go for it :D My screen has no yellowing and no negative blacks. I don't think there's much backlight bleed anywhere, either.