Yellowish Screen Replacement from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by princealyy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. princealyy macrumors regular

I know the entire hype on this site right now is about the iPad2 ... but I am wondering if anyone has or had any luck in being able to get the iPad replaced?

I have the original iPad 32 gb, bought it today, and I would like to get it replaced since the screen is slightly yellower (more saturated I guess or warmer?) my other iPad 16 gb has a nicer blueish screen.

Can someone let me know how Apple hands this?

Thanks in advance.

2. TechJunkieee macrumors newbie

I purchased a deeply discounted new ipad 1 64gig last week from retailer x and right away noticed the very yellow tint of the screen. Compared it to a relatives iPad 1 16gig that I use frequently,which has a perfect beautiful 'cooler' toned vivid screen and became very annoyed, the colors weren't vivid, Text didn't pop. Thinking that retailer x probably sold me old stock since the ios was 3.2 and Apple store might have better up to date good stock I Took it to Genius bar and was told it's normal and not much different, but Genius offered a one-time new replacement. As soon as I got home, opened the box and turned on the new replacement, STILL had same yellow tint issue...but not as bad.

BTW, Prior to purchasing this iPad 1, I was lucky enough to buy an iPad 2 64gig wifi at an Apple store...and you guessed it...horrible light bleeding, I WILL be returning it, not for exchange but a refund. I will keep the yellow tinted iPad 1 having saved $300 compared to the iPad 2 and just wait for iPad 3 hopefully with Retina display and resolved issues.

These are unacceptable quality control and supply chain issues, I'm not a "Mac" person, but If Apple continues on this path of selling products using several different manufactures churning them out like burnt hotcakes...There will be a backlash, customers will flee and company value will decline...hate to say it, but will be a realty if they don't take corrective action.

3. princealyy thread starter macrumors regular

A shame that this happened the 16gb wifi refurb I bought didn't have this problem and I already promised that one to someone. So unless I want to take a loss on this one I may have to suck it up.

I am going to the apple store today to ask them but my iPad is jailbroken so I will need to reset it. Which means going to 4.3.1 which is a tethered jailbreak and i was trying to avoid that.

4. princealyy thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to give a quick update, I was able to get my iPad exchanged out by Apple and it is MUCH better... a 100% improvement if you ask me. Funny thing, I bought a total of 3 iPad's from Verizon and they all had this issue two of the replacements were still yellow, I have one more en route to the apple store and hope this has the correct blueish screen on it.

My simple argument was, if this is the correct hue, please show me one iPad on display with this type of yellowish saturation. Their response "oh we will replace it to satisfy you, we are apple."

Hope that helps anyone with this issue... we have a few Apple stores in the area so if you strike out in one, just drive down the road to the next, I have not had to go to another store though.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I bought an ipad 2 days after launch last april. I loved it. Great looking display, beautiful color, it was great. I kept it until the Macbook air was released in october. It was only the wifi model and I was thinking of selling it to get a 3G anyway. so I sold it bought the MBA and waited until 1st of january to repurchase.

Much to my dismay the screen was piss yellow. I exchanged it and the same thing. I exchanged a third time and it was just as bad. I returned it and waited a few weeks thinking it was a bad batch. Next one I bought was more of the same. I took it to the apple store and all the display models were beautiful cool tone. I ended up trying about 12 different ipads on 5 seperate purchase attempts and they were all a dingy yellow color. I was very dissapointed. Luckily the iPad 2 that I bought has a nice blue screen again so I am happy. But it is a shame.

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

My iPad 2 screen is yellow-er than my iPad 1's display but I prefer the warmth for pictures and movies, and suspect it is probably closer to the standard 6500k color temperature. Also it's significantly brighter as well as being dimmer at the other end.

AFAIK there are three different suppliers of iPad displays, each with slight different characteristics. It's a bit of panel lottery which definitely isn't a new thing but I haven't seen a thorough comparison between them.

On a related note nobody mentions how crappy color temperatures are on some displays. For instance the Samsung Galaxy S phones I've seen have terribly cool blue temperature that's really inaccurate yet almost no tech review sites mention that except a few display reviews.

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It's posted everywhere that iOS devices with yellow tinting on their displays are caused by the bonding compound used on the displays, which is supposed to disappear after a few days of use. Beyond that, just get them replaced.

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I think it's a different issue. The bonding compound-induced yellowness is seen in spots whereas the color temperature change is, well, a screen that's yellow-er or blue-er in whole. It doesn't mean one is defective, just that they chose to make the display with that color temperature for whatever reason.

9. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

And everywhere it is posted we say, the yellow tint is not from glue. The bonding agent shows up as u never blotches on the display. We are talking about a yellow discoloration of the panel itself. There is a difference and until you see it, you won't know the difference.

10. laff2 macrumors newbie

I replaced my first iPad 2 that hat huge yellow bleeding...the replacement, while had some bleeding also had a all yellowish tone to the screen (not from the bleed). In general, the iPad have a slight blueish screen and in my opinion is easier on the eyes when using it in a dark environment.

I brought it into the Apple store and they ordered me a replacement. The best way to show them if the don't get it is compare it to their display models as they all have the correct slight blueish screen.

I am guessing it is a miss-calibration or just a bad screen. Who knows.