yellowsn0w question..?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cubedweller, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

So I've updated to 2.2.1 while preserving the 2.28.00 baseband so I can use yellowsn0w when I go overseas next month, but I have a question;

Once yellowsn0w is installed, is it controlled via a GUI application where I can turn it on/off at will? Or is it installed to auto-load when the phone boots?

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

It's just installed, there's no GUI. You can get a Toggle for it in Cydia however, that's usable with BossPrefs if you want to turn it off for any reason :)

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yellowsn0w is a boot daemon that is launched when the phone boots up, it runs in the background and is un-noticable. Like the above poster said, you can turn off yellowsn0w for any reason by using the toggle switch in bossprefs, or buy running code in mobile terminal on the phone. Other than that, a phone unlocked with yellowsn0w functions the exact same way a factory unlocked iPhone does. No difference. :D

4. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies; I really see no reason to have yellowsn0w run constantly in the background while I'm home and on AT&T -- I just want to have yellowsn0w in place so that when I get off the plane, I can pop in the new sim and be good to go.

I'll research the BossPref toggle; anyone know if there is one for SBSettings? I'd rather not install both apps, or am I missing something here? Sorry for all the questions; I haven't attempted to do any of this since the early 1.x days :)

Thanks again!

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I don't even have SBsettings installed. Bossprefs does everything I need it to. You might as well not install yellowsn0w until you need your phone unlocked. It only takes like 5 seconds to download. It is only about 15kb or so.

6. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll take your advise! Thanks again for the quick replies.

7. Scooterpig macrumors newbie

I'm also a SBSettings user over the BossPref one but no for the Yellowsn0w setting button for SBSettings sorry.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

For me the toggle button for yellowsn0w doesn't even work anyway. I switch it to off and leave my sim card in, and the phone still keeps service. Maybe I am missing the point? :confused:

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Perhaps you have to reboot?

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Probably, but I don't really want to, because I want my phone unlocked. :)