Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Friends,

I need some help.

I bought the Iphone 3G a month ago.

I activated it using Cyndia and have been using it for a month without the original At&T sim. I am using it with NO SIM and just using the other functions.

I got a T-Mobile sim today and want to install yellowsnow so I can use the T-mobile sim on my iphone.

Whats the best way? Are there step-by-step instructions?

I read somewhere some stuff about the baseband needing to be 2.something .. how do i check this stuff?

Thanks

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Just checked. I have version 2.2 and modem firmware 02.28.00

someone guide me please?!

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
i can't find yellowsnow via cyndia

there is no edit button in packages

help!

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
great!

my tmobile sim is now working fine.

just one issue

i keep getting disconnected from wi-fi

where i should see the wi-fi bars i see ' E ' .. i have to go to settings and i see that it is connected to my wifi .. but it isnt. then it connects and disconnects wen im off it

can something be done?..

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
great!

my tmobile sim is now working fine.

just one issue

i keep getting disconnected from wi-fi

where i should see the wi-fi bars i see ' E ' .. i have to go to settings and i see that it is connected to my wifi .. but it isnt. then it connects and disconnects wen im off it

can something be done?..

The E is Edge, which is like 3G but not as good. I'm not sure why you're WiFi keeps disconnecting, how many bars of WiFi are you getting?

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I get full bars

Ever since i installed yellowsnow and started using my t-mobile sim i have been facing this problem

I get an E instead of the bars

then i go to settings and wi-fi .. and it shows that I am connected. so i press the home button and the E disappears and i get the bars again.

but i have to keep doing that process evertime i get my phone out of my pocket. once the bars come back the net works.

is E part of t-mobile internet? I have not subscribed to that .. is there a way i can set the iphone to pickup internet only from wi-fi and still use my t-mobile sim?

thanks

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
go into cydia and search for sbs settings or boss prefs....for boss prefs you get an icon on the home screen and with sbs settings you have to swipe your finger on the status bar for a menu to flip down

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
done

installed it and turned off Edge and Wi-Fi then turned on wi-fi - just followed instructions

it still gives me an E when i turn on the phone and then changes to wi-fi bars in a few seconds

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
done

installed it and turned off Edge and Wi-Fi then turned on wi-fi - just followed instructions

it still gives me an E when i turn on the phone and then changes to wi-fi bars in a few seconds

Do you have any mods/themes active? I know one changes the 'o' to and E. The iPhone will automatically disconnect from WiFi when not in use, that maybe what you're experiencing?

If nothing is fixing the issue, you may need to restore and re-jailbreak :eek:

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Do you have any mods/themes active? I know one changes the 'o' to and E. The iPhone will automatically disconnect from WiFi when not in use, that maybe what you're experiencing?

If nothing is fixing the issue, you may need to restore and re-jailbreak :eek:

it would never auto disconnect from wi-fi when not in use. previously when it was on standby it would vibrate when i got a mail .. so the wi-fi was always on

now when i unlock it from standby it shows E and then in a few seconds the wi-fi comes on

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
it would never auto disconnect from wi-fi when not in use. previously when it was on standby it would vibrate when i got a mail .. so the wi-fi was always on

now when i unlock it from standby it shows E and then in a few seconds the wi-fi comes on

Yes that has always happened to me, perfectly normal. It's just to save battery when the phone is locked. Not sure why yours is an 'E', mine is usually an 'o'. Again, it maybe some theme/mod you've got from Cydia that's doing that.

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Yes that has always happened to me, perfectly normal. It's just to save battery when the phone is locked. Not sure why yours is an 'E', mine is usually an 'o'. Again, it maybe some theme/mod you've got from Cydia that's doing that.

so this happens only after installing yellowsnow?

it never happened before i installed yellowsnow - i've been running the iphone without a SIM for a month (jailbroken)

installed yellowsnow and a t-mobil sim last night and ever since i get an E on standby and then connects to wi-fi

is there no way to kick the E and restore wi-fi to auto on all the time?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
so this happens only after installing yellowsnow?

it never happened before i installed yellowsnow - i've been running the iphone without a SIM for a month (jailbroken)

installed yellowsnow and a t-mobil sim last night and ever since i get an E on standby and then connects to wi-fi

is there no way to kick the E and restore wi-fi to auto on all the time?

No, it's happened to me since I got the phone.

So, you only had a SIM in since yellowsn0w? That would explain why it started when you installed yellowsn0w then. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if there's a way to change it.

xpsm1730

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
No, it's happened to me since I got the phone.

So, you only had a SIM in since yellowsn0w? That would explain why it started when you installed yellowsn0w then. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if there's a way to change it.

ok - i get it

you mean ALL iphones with SIM cards in ... have an E (in your case O) on standby and then wi-fi connects in a few seconds when the phone is started?

thats dumb

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
you mean ALL iphones with SIM cards in ... have an E (in your case O) on standby and then wi-fi connects in a few seconds when the phone is started?

thats dumb

How is it dumb? It makes good sense -- why would you need to be connected to a WiFi network when the phone is off? 802.11b/802.11g is pretty power-intensive, and it doesn't make sense to keep AP associations if you're not using them...

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Thats how its meant to happen ... when the phone goes to sleep WiFi is turned off, when you wake the phone up it then reconnects to WiFi ... if it was on 24x7 it would destroy the battery life.

ncrystall

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
install yellow snow manually..

Guys,

Is there a way to install yellow snow not via wi-fi? Can i install it manually without using wi-fi connection?

Please help...thanks..

-newbie-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.