Yep a spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by o.neill.kid, Jan 19, 2012.

1. o.neill.kid macrumors member

Aright I know there are other topics talking about issues that have happened with spills but I have a few questions.

Cat > Soda near computer > 5 stuck keys.

Yes my fault, I get it. But the arrow keys, question mark, shift, and a bit on the enter key. I have only had this MPB for less then 15 days, I just want to know if I took it to Apple would they replace it, give a new keyboard? The keys are just sticking a bit, no other issues...

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Just make a appointment with the genius bar and ask them. They replaced my top cover after I dropped it free of charge.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac came with a warranty, but it doesn't cover damage due to accidents. They'll be happy to repair or replace it, at your cost.

4. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Alright. Thanks.

If they do charge, for a new keyboard. Do you happen to know a range for repair price?

5. bladerunner88, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

bladerunner88 macrumors member

You might try putting the whole keyboard into a container of uncooked rice, sounds crazy I know but brought my iPhone back to life this way after it got covered in coffee....took about 2 days total to get all the coffee absorbed...

Also perhaps try cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol.

Oh errr ok now realize your post read MBP not standalone Keyboard, sorry perhaps try here http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro and try some surgery, the new ones are a lot easier to get into.

6. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

If the only issue continues to be a few sticky keys then that means your machine itself is operating fine. Just be patient, take it apart and clean it out with hot water and paper towel (or if you are a crazy supporter, with a delicate jesus made towel). Or, who knows, the more you use those keys if they bounce back, you will wear it off. :D

7. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

If you are going to clean it yourself you are better to use 100 % isopropyl alcohol - you can get it at any pharmacy. Electronics and water are not the best of friends.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

$600-$800, iirc.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The keyboard is the entire top case. That's very expensive. I think it's best you attempt to clean it yourself; it might be some syrup from the soda under the keys oppose to actual damage.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

All these thread with spills have made me so paranoid about spilling anything on it. If I need to drink around it or on top of it, I close the lid. And, I make sure anything liquid won't liquid won't be close enough to spill and get in, or at least won't give me enough reaction time to get the MBP out of the way.

11. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

My friend spilt milkshake all over his 2010 MBP which ended up frying it, then he went to the apple store and they ended up repairing it free of charge

12. hotgrease macrumors regular

Yeah, it's not really accurate to say that they will only repair it at your cost. That is the policy, but that doesn't mean they will definitely charge you.

13. o.neill.kid, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Booked my genius appointment a few days ago, went up to Ottawa. Half an hour later, things are much better!

Genius Dave <3 took all 7 keys off and painstakingly cleaned each button, the push plate, and the plastic and metal mechanisms. No questions asked what so ever. Now my arrow key, shift and question mark key are still a bit still but I think with a bit of regular use they will go back to normal. Even if not, I am very happy. He said if it was any worse that he would have replaced the case for me, he never said if it would cost me but he said it might be very inconvenient for me to be without a laptop for a week.

He however did put notes on my serial so if in 6 months I have another spill (which will never happen again!!!!) that they see a trend. *I am sure I will get use to the keys eventually as they do feel a bit different when I press them, but he said I still have my one year warranty and everything so if I do need a new case or another cleaning I can come in.

He just pried the keys off gentle and the plastic mechanism and just used 70/30 wipes. I could probably do it at home!

I'm happy though :D

*I may just try popping off the keys that are still a bit stiff and do it myself, wasn't that hard though the smaller the keys its a bit of a pain!*

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

This worked out quite well for you then. Hopefully it will be a good lesson. While you may be careful with your beverages, the cat...you know.... :)

15. dacoolest macrumors regular

Similar thing happened to me as well. After few weeks of buying my new macbook pro, a column on the keyboard stopped working (I did not spill anything, and I hardly take it out. I use it on the desk)

And they replaced the top cover.

16. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

That's great news, no matter what people say about the employees at Apple. They are really great. Dave was amazing, cool and just chill and made my week.

Indeed! Its also nice to know that the keys are fairly easy to pop off and clean, in case the keyboard gets a bit dirty!