Yep, buying a 8-core Mac Pro but...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bittergourd, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. bittergourd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #1
    While I am not buying the top 2 in the line, I like to get the Dual 2.26 Quad-core.

    I do a lot of 3d (modo, Maya, Zbrush and Lightwave) and some compositing (in AE) and of course, Final Cut for editing but I can't afford the top of the line. My main app does work with all cores and is even hyperthreaded to take in account of the awesomeness of the mac pro's CPUs. :)

    But I heard from somebody that since Intel has already release the 5500-series 3.2 GHz Quad-core Xeon, a speed bump should be coming. If that happens, the 2.66 8-core machine will be the lowest. Should I wait? There's no hurry for me to buy till the end of August at this point.
     
  2. belvdr macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2005
    #2
    If there's no hurry, then waiting will only serve you better.
     
  3. bittergourd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #3
    Heh is that you're way of saying that "Yes an upgrade in the processors is on the way"? :)
     
  4. belvdr macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2005
    #4
    Not really, as I have no knowledge of one occurring. But, it never hurts to wait.
     
  5. bittergourd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #5
    Totally agreed.
     
  6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

    VirtualRain

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #6
    With tech, there's always something better just around the corner... But, if you always put off a purchase until something better comes along, what does that get you? :p
     
  7. bittergourd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #7
    Money to actually buy it. :p
     
  8. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    #8
    I would not get anything less that 2.66 That should be the bottom speed.
     
  9. mac88 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Location:
    Boston, MA.
    #9
    Buy it and enjoy it. That's what I did and I am totally pleased with the machine. Could I have waited, sure. If I kept waiting I'd be without and not making some money on the side from video edits. Buy it now and enjoy, don't rack your brain about what if. Good luck!
     
  10. bittergourd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #10
    That's why I am waiting to see if they'll do the processor upgrade between now and the end of August. If they do put in the 3.2 5500-series Xeon, then the 2.66 will be the entry level dual 8-core Mac Pro, unless they decide the 2.26 option alive as well. :)
     
  11. bobpensik macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #11
    I just bought a refurbished Dual 2.8 and it is amazing! I am glad I didn't wait any longer. Coming from a laptop for the last 6 years, I had forgotten how much I miss a tower!!

    The refurb's are a great deal, mine looks essentially brand new!
     
  12. surflordca macrumors 6502a

    surflordca

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #12
    An upgrade in the processor. It will come but I don't think you will see it by the end of Aug.
     
  13. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #13
    First off, no one knows if Apple will add the 3.2 processor to the line. However, if they do, it will probably show up as a higher priced option. There is virtually zero chance that Apple will bump processor speeds throughout the line, keeping the price points the same. In other words, if they do come out with a 3.2 model, the 2.26 will almost certainly still be the entry level model.
     

Share This Page