Yep, it's a water on laptop thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, May 10, 2011.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so a few drops of water got on to my laptop, 2010 MBP (dangit, I was using one of those spill resisitant cups too and some how some drops came out and dropped on my computer, I didn't even notice til I looked down).

Anyways, it got on the mouse pad area. I was hoping it didn't get inside but judging how my trackpad was acting, it did.

So I have turned off the computer for the moment.

What i want to know how long should I keep it off before I see if it did permanant damage? And for those that know the inside of the computer, is there other things the water could have dropped down onto besides the trackpad? (What else is below the trackpad area, it was on the right side of the trackpad).

I've got insurance on it but really rather not have to go through all the paper work so hoping that I get lucky (It was just a few drops, it wasn't like it got a ton spilled on).

2. AsLongAsItsTech macrumors newbie

AsLongAsItsTech

3. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Are you sure that you dried the trackpad very well? It can act funny if even it is the tiniest bit damp.

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

i believe the battery is located under the trackpad. how did the touchpad act then the water was on it?

5. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Glitchy. First it didn't respond then it would jump everywhere and at one point it pulled up expose though I didn't do the four finger swipe. As I was trying to turn off the computer the mouse started jumping around (keyboard was fine as well as the power button).

Basically I'm guessing it definitely got water on it (I felt a little bad even trying to see cause I see all the threads about *turn*off*the*computer* so once I was sure, computer went off. I'm hoping maybe if hte trackpad dries it will be ok and I didn't do any permenant damage. I'm just not sure how long is a good period to wait to be sure the trackpad is fully dry. And it was just water, nothing else).

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Can really depend... I hope you get lucky!

7. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks.

Anyone know how long I should wait to test it (basically what time period should I give it to dry out).

I heard 72 hours but that said depending on humidity. What's the longest it might take? It was a few drops but enough (and one right on the crack of the mousepad) that I had a decent worry when it happened that some got in (basically two to three large drops was sitting on it, and one of them was right on the crack on the right side and I think that's the water that got in, the rest were sitting on top the mouse pad or the case of the computer, they had formed drops cause they were small enough to still have water tension. I think if I had gotten the right absorbant material I could have prevented it but I thought my sweater would be fine but apparently my sweater is a tad water resistant and I think it pushed some in).

8. Fisticuffs2065 macrumors member

Don't worry. Same thing happened to mine. Got water in the trackpad, mouse started jumping everywhere and within time, everything was working perfectly!

9. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

That's what I am hoping for. I turned it off and want to wait because I really don't want to increase the risk this won't be the result.

I mean, I do have insurance but who wants to go through that headache (I guess at least I can go through that headache and get a replacement if I have to. But I'd rather not use it not just for the headache but because I wonder if my insurance company will bar me from insuring my computer again. I have heard it can depend and that they have decided before to no longer give you that option if you use it).

10. WestC07 macrumors newbie

Just use your best judgement as to how much water you feel entered alongside the trac pad and how long it will take to evaporate. It won't be there forever, but surely give it at least a day.

Also if you want to take a look at the inside, disassembly is a breeze and I believe once you get inside you can get to the track pad from under the battery.

Take a look:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivbb3JJBVw

I realize it's an HDD replacement video, but it's a perfect tutorial to the simple disassembly of the unibody MBP.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

As silly as it sounds, the use of highly absorbant material has been thought to work well with wet electronics, such as rice and oatmeal stuffed into a bag with the electronic and sealed, quickly lowering overall humidity and evaporating the liquid quicker and more effecienctly.

12. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for replies!

I decided to be on the safe side and wait a full 72 hours (The only number I could see anyone post anywhere on how long to wait).

Trackpad is working perfectly fine. Glad it was just water and I don't have to worry about residue eventually wearing away stuff.