Yes ... another 3GS - 4G Buying question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bibble, May 15, 2010.

  1. Bibble macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #1
    Ok, I have just recieved word that, after many months, my phone is getting upgraded (group contract, upgrade time is not down to me). And I will be getting the 16GB 3GS, with the option of 32GB for £75.

    Now, the timescale of this buy is immutable. It will be happening this week regardless. My problem is whether to go with this, and sell the phone and my 32GB iPod touch to get a 4G that'll do both. If I do that, I'll likely get the 16GB, as there'll be less depreciation on it later, I think.

    If I don't, I'd probably go for the 32GB, as I kinda like having the extra storage.

    So, my options would be:

    A) Get 16GB now, sell both devices later for a 4G (64GB if they come in that flavour, or as high as possible if not).

    B) Get 32GB and stick with it and iPod.


    My main issues are:

    - How much of a boost will the new iPhone be? I've read the teardowns, and I've not seen anything that really catches my eye, aside from the screen, possibly, and the case (yeah, I do actually quite like it).

    - Only having the single device. I do quite like having a separate device for music that isn't linked to my phone's battery. But I also like the idea of having to carry less around. Has anyone got iPhone+iPod, or has anyone aggregated the devices and can tell the tale?

    The main thing I'm looking for is experience on whether it'd be worth it for the upgrade and single device.



    Thoughts?
     
  2. corriewf macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    #2
    If you are going to be stuck with this phone because you have no control of when you get upgraded, you might as well get the iPhone 4.0...But sell the 3GS when you get and not when the iPhone 4.0 comes out.
     
  3. laurensd macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    #3
    I bought an original iPhone, then (at launch) bought an iPhone 3G and (again at launch) I bought an iPhone 3GS.
    I was able to sell both original and 3G for a nice price because at launch of a new model the demand is high, so people who really want an iPhone at that time sometimes buy a second-hand device.

    so when 4G comes out, i'll sell my 3GS and buy a 4G.

    I would say, go with the 16GB and when 4G is out, try to sell the 16GB 3GS and buy a 4G
    as for the "one device" problem, battery life is good enough for one day intensive use so if you charge at night you'll have no problems. And having just one device in your pocket is something you get used to very easy

    PS: 4G is a mayor change compared with the 3G and 3GS (if you believe the leaked prototypes are real)
     
  4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #4
    The camera will be better, possibly better battery life, video chat maybe and a faster processor. If the speculation is correct about the A4, read the iPad reviews or go use one, lower your expectations a bit and you probably have a good idea of what to expect.

    I don't know how much the 3GS will slow down with OS4, or if it will at all but after experiencing the slowdown of my own 3G over time with the OS3 update, I would want the fastest hardware possible at the time. I go with 24 month contracts.

    I went from a SE dumphone + ipod to iPhone and the aggregation of the two devices is one of the biggest factors stopping me from going with a Blackberry or Android. I only need the battery to last a whole day so this isn't a factor for me but if you use the phone heavily, I can see battery life being an issue.
     
  5. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #5
    With respect to the 4G improvements:
    - Better Camera - I don't use the camera in my phone, and haven't had a useful one, really, that I have used. However, the integration, and the possibility of a Google Goggles-like apps make this appealing.

    - Battery Life - As stated, bigger is better

    - Video Chat - Don't use, can't see me ever using

    - Faster processor - as before, bigger is better.


    I hadn't considered selling now, but that might just be what I do. Looking on ebay, it seems that the 3GS goes for approx. £3-400, almost regardless of capacity.

    And, my intention will be to get the 4G on a device-only, as I'll have the contract already.
     
  6. rkswat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2010
    #6
    Well seeing as you have seen exactly what the rest of us have when it comes to the new iPhone, how do you expect anyone to answer your question with something other than what you already know?

    I say get the most expensive 3gs you can now, then buy the most expensive next gen you can. While you're at it pick up a fully loaded iPad.... wtf get an iPod touch as well. :rolleyes:

    Your money, your phone, your decision.
     
  7. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #7
    I'll grant that I haven't seen anything anyone else hasn't. But, then, I also have never owned an actual iPhone, never seen the functional difference, for instance, between the 3G and 3GS, and not used Apple's version of the integrated device.

    I'm asking for advice from those that have. All I've seen are a few features and a bunch of numbers, which I can put an abstract performance on, but struggle to make a quantifiable decision as to the performance of one to another.

    I'm asking for opinions using the typically used Internet logic of consensus. If I were to get 2000 responses saying "There's no difference, don't bother", I'd take that as advice. Equally, if everyone says "HUUUUUUUGE difference! Get the 4G the minute it comes out!", I'd take that into consideration.

    The more likely outcome is some say one thing, some say another. In which case, I consider the points that each make, and their relevance to my situation. My logic is that:
    A) I have no experience with iPhones
    B) People on this forum do
     
  8. rkswat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2010
    #8
    OK, sarcasm aside..... I would def get the new one when it comes out. So I would go with the 16g and sell that and your iPod off to get it. I think you will dig the iPhone and you will dig the 4th gen even more. Now you didn't say which device you were coming from but IMHO iPhone offers the best form and function on the market. Also don't listen to all the jail breaking weenies out there. As soon as you get that thing home (3gs) go to http://spiritjb.com/ and jb it. Look around, change some things up, check it out for a few days..... if it's not for you then simply re sync and upload latest firmware and you're golden. Good luck.
     
  9. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

    Blueline29

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    Location:
    Windermere, FL
    #9
    This was actually the reason I left BlackBerry last summer and went for a 32GB 3GS. I was able to sell my Bold and my 16GB iPod Touch and more than recouped the price of the subsidized 32 GB 3GS, and now I don't have to lug 2 devices around (and doubled the storage of what had been my primary iPod to that point.)
     
  10. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #10
    Ok, I am actually erring on the side of keeping the 3GS at the moment.

    The main reason is the micro-SIM in the 4G. I don't really want to be cutting up my SIM card, and trying to get a micro-SIM on my contract would involve negotiation, going through the contract manager (to give a rough scale of this, I have been waiting for the iPhone since December, and they've only just got around to sorting the codes out).

    The other point (somewhat supplementary to the previous one) is that I shall be departing for holiday in early-mid July, and will need a decent phone for that. It is unlikely, all things considered, that I will be able to get the 4G up, running and configured to my liking in that time.

    The phone that I last recieved as an upgrade was a Nokia N81 (reasonable phone, but failed), when that died (battery and eventually started kicking me off the cell network), I got the i-Mate K-Jam back that I used to have. This, I hate, mostly for it's reliance on a stylus that I never seem to be able to keep.


    I'm thinking that I will either get the 32GB 3GS, and sell my iPod, just loading everything onto the phone. Or get the 16GB and keep the iPod for entertainment purposes. The main problem I can see with this is that I suspect that I will stop picking my iPod up as my day-to-day gear, and I then won't have it when I need it.
     
  11. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #11
    Huh? No, that's not an issue. When you buy the 4G it will come with an unactivated micro-sim. You just connect it to iTunes and activate it on your line. That simple.

    Actually, the most likely release date will be June 18th. Plenty of time to get it before you leave. And if for some reason you don't, why not get it when you return?
     
  12. Bibble thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #12
    Err, theoretically, yes. In practice, however, activating it on my line, with the contract and number will require codes from O2. Codes that will only be given to the person in charge of the contract. That person tends to be a little too busy to chase such things (as I said, significant delays already, and it'll only get busier from now on). What this procedure will more likely entail would be:
    Me: Can I have the codes to transfer the number to the new SIM?
    Manager: I'll see what I can do.
    Manager: They asked for [insert irrelevant detail here]
    Me: You have that information
    Manager: Ok, I'll try again
    (repeat)

    Each communication will take a long time. Trust me, I've done this sort of thing before.



    June 18th would allow 1 month for configuration. Given that I'll be getting used to OS4.0 and it's various features anyway, the more likely event is me going on holiday with a phone that either isn't what I want, or isn't configured to do what I want, and me either having to do it over there, or losing functionality.


    I will agree that the 4G will be a good device (and I suspect that 4.0 might have a few added benefits if you have one, anyone else think that the similarity in chips is a little coincidental?), and I might upgrade later in the year, when I have the finds together, and the time to pursue it.
     
  13. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #13
    Forget everything I said. If you're on O2 then I have no idea what the experience will be like. The experience I relayed would be on AT&T. (No code necessary.) But I'd still try to sell the 3Gs and upgrade to the 4G if I were you. but you might have to buy the 4G first and sell the 3Gs after you get through your red tape.

    Edit: When I upgraded my corporate account in the store, they took off the corporate code and upgraded me. I then had to re-add the corporate code to my account. But again, that was AT&T.
     
  14. Fabienne macrumors 65816

    Fabienne

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2009
    Location:
    Some super-sexy place in the Midwest
    #14
    I would get the 16G 3GS, sell it (them you alluded to) right now for as much as you can. Get the 4G. I speak as I would to myself, for sure there is something on the 4G which you will be sorry you didn't get. You think you can live without it, but...
     

Share This Page