Yes, another Canon Lens Question....Sorry

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MrMacMini, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MrMacMini, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

MrMacMini macrumors regular

I will be in Puerto Rico for about 5 days the first week of March (work trip), and decided to take my T2i....

I decided to stick with the kit lens while I learn photography but now that I will be taking this trip I want a general/walk around lens that will help me take some beautiful shots.......

So what would you recommend? Budget is a priority but will consider going over if I need to.

Sorry for throwing another "Lens" thread out there.....Thanks!

2. Razeus macrumors 601

Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 (the non-VC version)

/thread

3. MrMacMini thread starter macrumors regular

The kit lens is an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.....is it still a good idea to go with the Tamron 17-55?

4. Funkatronic, Feb 9, 2011

Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

From what i've seen and read, yes. You can have a look at here.

5. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

What is your budget?

Probably not, especially if you're still getting accustomed to your kit lens. What are you looking for in a walkaround lens?

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

+1. If you can't identify what is or what would be wrong with your kit lens, you very likely shouldn't buy anything. If you really feel the desire to spend money, consider renting a lens for the duration of the trip?

It's you, the photographer, that makes the good pictures, not the lens. If you can't get good shots now with your kit lens, then a new one is not going to help in any way.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Puerto Rico... Nice! I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and spent a couple of days in Old San Juan.

The view from Cristobal Castle lookout west to the other end of town:
    [​IMG]

As for gear:

First of all, I recently purchased a circular polarizer for my kit and this probably had more impact on improving my photos in sunny places like the Caribbean than any other piece of gear I've ever acquired. No matter what you do in terms of lens choice, I highly recommend a circular polarizer. You can get a top of the line B+W Cir. Pol. filter at maxsaver.net for around $100.

For lens upgrades, you have a few choices:

Canon EFS 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM: This lens is Canon's latest EFS lens design and it offers remarkably good quality and is priced accordingly. The build quality is solid and the range of focal lengths is very nice: 24-135 FF equivalent.

Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8 IS USM: This is considered by many as the ultimate walk around lens for Canon crop bodies. In fact, there are no other lenses in Canon's line up that offer IS and f2.8 in this walk-around focal range. Most consider it's optics to be "L" quality and it's priced accordingly. The f2.8 and IS makes this lens very flexible in low light.

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC: While comparable to the above Canon lens in features, it falls considerably short in sharpness. It's not as sharp as the non-VC version which is near legendary in terms of value. It's more affordable however.

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 NON-VC: This lens is probably the value king, offering great image quality, constant f2.8 at a very affordable price point. However, it lacks IS which can be a real compromise for shooting static subject early or late in the day without a tripod (or indoors without a flash).

9. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Good advice but would just add that it's a bit awkward on the 18-55 kit lens as the end of the lens rotates when zooming.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Good point... that would be a bit frustrating. A good reason to upgrade from the kit lens :p :D

11. MrMacMini thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Still learning and have been able to get great shots with the kit lens, but I want something that's better in low light conditions, and something that has a better range then my kit lens. I know it's all about the photographer but a better lens does help.

12. MrMacMini thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Budget is under $600....Oh and I'm definitely renting before I buy, but before I rent I need some reccomemdations.

13. VirtualRain, Feb 9, 2011

VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If you could stretch this by $100, I would get this... http://www.adorama.com/CA1585ISR.html

If not, then this http://www.adorama.com/TM1750EOS.html with a Cir. Polarizer and a tripod for low light is your ticket. :)

14. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

By "better range", do you mean focal range? If so you may be looking at standard or short telephotos. Something like the Tamron 28-75.

If you want it primarily for your vacation, why not rent something out of your purchase price? You can get this one fo 10 days at $86 total with the damage waiver from LensRentals.com

Canon 24-70 2.8 L

Dale

15. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

You're not going to find both things in a single lens. Also, f/2.8 isn't that much better for low light conditions. You'd do well to get a nifty fifty instead.

The older non-VC version has better optics, according to lens tests at Photozone.de and SLRgear.com.

16. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Consider the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. It can be had for about $350 to $450 if you shop around.

This is a decent lens. It gives you a wider zoom range than your kit lens plus adds image stabilization. It is not as wide on the low end as the kit lens. The kit lens is rather light so you probably want to keep that in a backpack for times when you need a wider field of view.

If you get this try to shoot closer to f/8 when you can to get better sharpness.

I second the suggestion for using a polarizing filter outdoors. This helps immensely with some shots. It is difficult with action shots to always have to rotate the filter after zooming but with landscapes and buildings and scenes it is not much effort. The Hoya HD filters are great, but cost over $100. You can get polaroid filters for as little as $20. The cheaper ones are probably OK for learning with. They will be darker, absorbing more light. The Hoya HD passes more light allowing the use of lower ISO settings, is tougher to break and resists finger prints and last a lifetime.

17. dcains macrumors regular

The EF28-135 IS can be had all day long in brand-new condition for not much more than $200-225. Lots of guys selling them from body/lens kits. Check www.fredmiranda.com Add to that a fast prime, like the EF50/1.8 (or 1.4) or the EF35/2, and you'll have a lot more focal length to work with as well as some great low-light capabilities. The Sigma 30/1.4 is the best crop-sensor prime I've ever used, if your budget permits.

Or, keep the kit lens and supplement it with Tamron's 28-75/2.8. Better for low-light than the kit lens, and you can use the kit lens for wider shots outside in good light. The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a great lens, but if you can hold on to the kit lens for those wider shots, the added range of the 28-75 may be useful.