yes... Another newbie asking for help on a decision for a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iByrd441, Jun 7, 2010.

1. iByrd441 macrumors newbie

I have been lurking on this site like a madman.. I plan to purchase my first mac machine. I am looking at a macbook pro, still trying to decide whether a 13 or 15 inch screen.

I do not play games nor do I have space in my apt for an external monitor. I am an amateur photographer and I will use either Aperture 3 or Photoshop (looking forward to try out Aperture) just to do basic editing (my skills are improving though). I will surf the net, use itunes etc. I do not watch movies nor do I travel often (approx 3 times a year to far destinations).

This will be my only computer (I will give my current hp laptop to my fiancee).
    I am currently using a 16" diagonal display and I can go a bit smaller.

What do you think is the best macbook pro for me?

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Since you are using this as a "desktop replacement" have you considered the 17"? I would imagine as a photographer using "Pro" Apps like Aperture and Photoshop screen real estate and a "Hi-Res" display would be important...otherwise, the base 15" sounds like it would work well for you...

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If your choices are either a 13" or a 15", definitely go for the 15", preferably the high-res antiglare. The extra resolution will come in handy for your work, and will be an acceptable substitute (although an imperfect one) for an external monitor.

4. iByrd441 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did consider the 17 but I personally think that is a bit too big as I usually use my laptop on the bed or table. I am considering the 15", but I am considering if I really do need lots of screen real estate. I never use split screen, so would it make sense to pay an extra $600?

5. iByrd441 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I think the base 15 would work well for you...there is the option of the hi-res screen if needed...

7. colonelsanders macrumors member

Screen real-estate for photo editing is going to be your biggest issue. Based on that I would suggest the 15inch. Going from a 16inch to a 13inch could be trouble for photo editing. The real question is what is the resolution you're used to on the 16inch? If it's greater than the 1200x800ish in the current 13 inch MBP then chances are you'll feel cramped on the 13inch MBP. I would venture a guess that most avid photographers would go for the 15inch MBP and choose the high resolution BTO option.

Aside from the size and resolution issue I am a firm believer that the current 13inch Macbook Pro's are highway robbery. It's old tech at a premium. (except for the graphics card). If your going to spend over $1,300 on a laptop don't settle for anything less than an i5. No desktop or laptop is future proof but the C2D has been out for 3 years and Apple is milking it for all it's worth. (Yes, it's not Apples fault but that's another thread) My point is that when it comes to value for your $$ anything below the 15inch isn't worth what you'll pay. (IMHO)

In the end I would strongly urge you to look at the 15inch MBP i5. If you have an Apple Store near you i would go there and play around with both the 13 and the 15 inch. Bring a thumb drive with you and try to edit some of your pics using both machines. See how it feels. Our gut feeling often leads us in the right direction.

8. JackSpearo macrumors regular

my mom has a 13 inch macbook and I have a 15 inch. My macbook pro messed up and had to be sent off (was without it for 3 days)

and I had to use my mom's computer in the meantime... let's just say I was THRILLED when my 15" came back...

for me it's a no brainer... go with the 15"... definitely...