Yes, another Toilet iphone (3g)...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EricaD1123, Jan 3, 2009.

1. EricaD1123 macrumors newbie

Ok, I know, very dumb, shouldn't have phone near water at all. However, accidents happen.

It was in the water about 10 seconds or less and after almost puking from disgust and horror, I dried it as much as possible and pulled out the sim card. Immediately after, the screen was flickering and I did turn it off. This morning, I have it stuck in a bag of rice, because I'm willing to try (almost) anything.

If after trying what I'm doing now and that doesn't work, I'm taking it to a Genius Bar.

If I have to replace it, will I just be charged for price of the phone. Has this happened to anyone.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

DO NOT TURN IT ON FOR A FEW DAYS!!!!! Doing so might permanently damage it.

You're screwed if anything else was in that toilet :eek:

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Eeew. Make sure you dry the UrineiPhone.

If it has to be replaced, you have to pay the regular $200/$300.

4. EricaD1123 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was just water. I called Apple and have an appointment tomorrow. This may be a very expensive lesson learned. :(

5. copydeskcat macrumors regular

This happened to my son's Nintendo DS a few weeks ago (resist the urge to crack jokes about it becoming a Nintendo 'wee') and we saved it with the rice trick.

Get yourself a large tub and fill it with dry rice (brown rice is best) - and I mean fill it. Then, put your phone into it - really bury it in the rice.

If you don't have rice, get some - or use dry porridge or oats - basically, anything that absorbs water.

Put a lid on it, and leave it there for about four days. Most of the moisture will be absorbed into the rice.

Don't tell the Apple people any lies - there's a water detector embedded in the headphone socket which can tell them if it has been in contact with water (it changes colour, I think).