Yes another "Which iPad to buy?" post...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gldubzakjr, Mar 22, 2012.

1. gldubzakjr macrumors member

gldubzakjr

I recently sold my original iPad 1 64gig WiFi only model the other day in preparation for my iPad 3 replacement.

I already know I going to buy the 64gig version; however, I am torn between getting the WiFi only model, which is where I will use the iPad 90% of the time. That said, it would be nice on vacations and the like to have the 4G Verizon LTE service available to me if needed, especially since its available as a month-to-month option.

My question is, do you have to immediately activate the LTE service if you're not going to use it or can I do it at my leisure? I really do not want or need the extra monthly expense right now... Also, I've seen mention that the 4G models support actual GPS, be it when using the cellular companies towers... I assume that you have to have an active LTE service in order for this GPS to function? If not, will the GPS work with my mapping applications while driving around town?

I'm going to Best Buy later this weekend for the replacement so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

:apple: :confused:

2. RowdyYates macrumors member

RowdyYates

You can activate 4G at you leisure. GPS will work without activation, BUT apps that require network access for updating won't work as expected. If purchase a navigation app that downloads all the pertinent maps and stores them on the device, then you are good to go.

3. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

Would navigation apps that download all the pertinent maps & store them also work on a wifi only iPad that is tethered to an iPhone 4S?

4. deeddawg macrumors 603

RowdyYates is correct. Be wary of sales reps who try to convince you to sign up for a data plan when buying the iPad. NOT necessary, you can sign up from your ipad when you need it.

The cell tower / gps relationship is that the GPS chip can acquire its location faster using info from cell towers. Works *without* having to sign up to a data plan. Also still works without cell service, but acquisition can take longer.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

On vacation you should spend as little time on your ipadvas possible. Use computers in a hotel lobby or use your phone. Go with the wifi. Data plans are ripoofs anyway

6. dell who? macrumors member

You can start and stop the 3G/4G service at will, so no need to worry about paying for it when you don't need/want it.

The topic of location tracking without paying for service is a little more interesting. Having the cell antenna turned on will allow for your location to be pinpointed on the map, but unless you have purchased data usage you can't do anything with the location besides simply see it. This part is still in a grey area in my mind because I haven't tested every theory yet, but the fact stands either way that you need to pay up to actually have the maps app do the things it's capable of doing, i.e. plot directions between a destination and your current location. I suppose that a 3rd party map app that loads all its data on the iPad locally could theoretically work with simply the location data and no other access to the internet, but again, an untested theory of mine.

7. gldubzakjr thread starter macrumors member

gldubzakjr

Thanks for all the comments... Given the fact that I am going to upgrade my iPhone at some point and I can always share it as a WiFi hotspot, I ended up with the 64gig. WiFi Only version... I just got back from Best Buy, now off to play with the new toy for a bit!

:D :D :D :apple: :apple: :apple: