Yes, but WHICH Sandy Bridge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhyalus, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Why doesn't Apple list which CPUs are in the laptops?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

I guess you could figure it out by looking at the speed, if you know whether they are talking about turbo mode or not.

Am I missing it on the Apple website?

R

2. Treeman574 macrumors regular

Look under mobile i7 and i5 chips on the page you linked.

3. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I mean on the Apple website...why don't they say if it is a 2820QM, etc...?

R

4. bamf macrumors 6502

Apple typically doesn't want to confuse the consumer with the in depth technical details of things like the exact CPU model.

5. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Just like they don't want to confuse customers with buttons on their iPhones, which have double functions - they must think we're stupid :rolleyes:

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

simplism

7. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

After reading the various forums here and continually hearing how iOS, OSX etc is simpler to use for the average person, on could tend to draw that conclusion.

8. akonikui macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Consumers are pretty stupid. We respond to bogus numbers, made up testimonials, meaningless awards, flashy packaging, and temporary sales. On top of all that, we have bouts of inexplicable brand loyalty.
    Have you ever worked in retail?

9. CHSeifert, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

No, never worked in retail per se.

Just a little bit pissed over the way Apples sees their average customers.
    I really like my iPhone 4, but I miss a dedicated shutter button like he_ll !

My Favorite camera app, Camera+, made a function in their app, which let you pick one of the volume buttons and made it work as a shutter button, when the app was open. You had to activate the function so you would have to know what you did. Typical Apple behaviour - they excluded the app from the store until they removed this double button function. The camera+ app folks had to adhere to the demand from Apple in order to sell their app again.

I hate Apple for doing things like that.
    I'll never be a mac fanboy, but I do appreciate a lot about their products - just not their policy when it comes to respect of their customers ability to think and actually learn and adapt at the same time :(

10. CHSeifert, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

No - STUPIDITY !

When you look at the spec section you clearly are interested in detailed specs and not just the average sales talk. Hence apple should include detailed CPU model names in this section !

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Those who really want to know will find out easily.

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Apple really has become a true mainstream only company. They don't sell any product to a smaller group of buyers and are only interested in one major big chunk that offers high profit margins. They are doing well in that and everybody else needs to looks elsewhere to get functionality or information.

Websites like notebookcheck.com list the spec with the true Intel CPU model numbers though.
    MBP is sold with 2630QM (2ghz), 2720QM (2,2Ghz) and 2820QM (2,3Ghz).
    13" is 2410M or 2620M. I don't know the socket though but who cares.

13. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

This is just not worrying about confusing us poor idiots - there are several hundred dollars in difference between some of the mobile CPUs.

When I shop for a PC, I select a specific model and I pay for it.

I think it is two things - 1) like Southwest Airlines, they buy in bulk so it is cheaper for them and 2) it obfuscates the true value of the processor for the end user.

R

14. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Maybe I missed it. Without calling them, where can I find it on the web?

R

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Compare clockspeed/CPU features from system profiler to the wiki or download CPU ID software like CPU-Z & MSR Tools. It's never been all that difficult. Except for when they used custom chips in the iMacs but even then...

16. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

A bit of a tangent, but I had someone ask me about a laptop on ebay as to if it had a T9400 or a P8600 processor. I had listed the service tag number so they could look up little details like that. What struck me as annoying was that this bit of technical minutia was so important to their highly informed mind, but they couldn't figure it out for themselves?

17. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

So I guess Mac users DON'T care about which CPU they are paying for....

Interesting.

For those that are curious now, the only way I have seen was to use a program called "Speccy" from Piriform, but I had to run it under Parallels in Windows.

Is there a program for Mac that describes more details about the CPU natively?

R

18. brentsg macrumors 68040

There was a whole thread going over the model numbers here, back around launch time.