Yes! I got my first interview.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xUKHCx, Nov 23, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm a fourth year University student doing Chemical Engineering with Management and as such am looking for gainful employment for when I finish my course.

So far I have only applied for one job as I spent a lot of time completing the application form as this is the job that I would really love to get, for the following reasons. They have a decent graduate scheme with mentoring to help become chartered. They are based just outside London meaning I can live in London, they do pharmaceutical design (an area I am currently very interested in). As far as salary goes it is a little on the low side (3000 less than others I am interested in) but they offer twice yearly pay reviews and speaking to recent graduates who work for them within a year it will be up to the same level and I am far more interested in getting a job that I will be happy in than doing it just for the money. And the money is pretty good anyway.

I am so pleased to get this interview as I would absolutely love to work for them, plus it would be really nice to get all this job hunting over and done with quickly so I can concentrate on my studies.

Now all I need to do is to find a tie and some smart shoes, as well as read up as much as possible about them so it is fresh in my mind. The only annoying thing is that I have a very big presentation the next day.

In case anyone was wondering the company is Foster Wheeler.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good luck. be prepared to talk about projects and any problems and how you handle them.

all my engineering interviews have ALL focused on that

3. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Cheers for the tips, any more are thoroughly welcome.

I'm taking a copy of my design project along and I should have a good speech to make about my research project as well.

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Good luck!!!

I remember when I was fresh out of college and all enthusiastic about my first interview. And soon enough I was on interview #15+ and had to put on my fake smile and act like I cared about the company who was interviewing me. :(

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea good luck with it!

I had an interview at Tescos way back during college years. But I left after an hour :eek: got an big interview coming up, my old college (no not everything is centred around them!) want a lecturer. So I gotta put on the impressive pants for that one.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

man I hated having to put up with that. The first few interview I had I was all happy about them and exicited. After a while of not getting contacted back and turned down it started wearing on me. It took a lot out of me just to go to an interview and keep trying. Today I mailed off the paper work for a job offer I got and the best part is it was my first pick that I did not have much hope in getting.

Just keep you hopes up and do follow up until you get an answer. Keep you name in their minds.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Best of luck on your upcoming interview xUKHCx, I hope that everything goes well for you! :)

8. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Oh The Horror!

They make you pay a fortune to go to college, and then make sure that because of that you MUST get a job upon exiting college so that you can begin to pay off your debt. You are nothing but a cog in a system that needs your unabiding loyalty (and the unabiding loyalty of one hundred million other slaves) to operate. And they force you to be loyal by ensuring that you'll have no choice but to get a job, because by sending you to public school and then to college, they delayed your success long enough that it is now inevitable that you will need a job. Freedom is an illusion. You have no choice but to get a job now, and yet you feel that it is your choice to go to the interview. Our nation is controlling a colossal workforce of slaves, all of whom BELIEVE that they are free, and therefore willingly abide with the voice of the authorities.

Welcome to America! :)

edit: To the OP, I notice that you are from the UK. You've been spared! Thank goodness! Have a wonderful life, and never EVER move to America. :D

Best of luck with the interview!

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I got my first job after college on my first interview.

Actually, come to think of it, I've only ever had one interview where I didn't get an offer, and during the interview it was made clear that I was overqualified.

If I can do it, so can you. I'd wish you luck good sir, but here's to thinking you won't need it.

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Good! Hope for the best.

Some of the best things for an interview is to catch up a bit about the company, what has it done recently, what does it do, and how can you help that company out. Now, when the person asks you a question about what you do, think about things that would help what the company does based on what you studied. And yes, have a project along with you so you can show your potential and to show that you really care!

Be very upbeat and be very direct when you speak. Don't beat around the bush, but don't be afraid to be smart. It's best to speak in a voice that says you are serious. My managers have told me that when I am around the big guys of Sizzling Platter during a CDT meeting, I seem to have a deeper voice with a much more direct tone, as if I knew I was speaking to someone importatn, but I made myself sound important all the while.

11. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Good luck with the interview, and remember and nice firm handshake say a hell of a lot!!! Just don't break their fingers :D And as daft as it may sound, if you find you don't shake hands with people all that often, get a friend and practice. Oh and I always wear a red tie to interviews. something to do with red and a power colour, don't know if there is any truth in that, but it seems to to the trick.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Good luck. Some people would say you should apply for more than one job though. Personally, just like Iscariot, I only had one job interview and I got it.

Job interviews for graduate schemes can be very competative. As long as you take it seriously you should be alright but everyone else there will be trying to beat you to the job, it's a bit weird.

Are they making you do exams/ assesment center activities? If so, you should contact your university careers service and ask if you can do some practice ones.

I like a nice bold pink/purple tie personally :)

Good Luck!!!

13. gavd macrumors 6502a

Seems to work OK for Tiger Woods! ;)

Good luck with the interview xUKHCx. I think you've made the right decision to go for a job you're interested in rather than just going for somewhere which pays more straight away.

14. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thank you all for you kind words.

I will actually be wearing a red tie. Hopeless Liverpool supporter

I am applying to more companies but am picking the ones I want to work for as it takes quite some time to complete all the applications forms and such.

Our careers department is really good and offer practice tests and as much help and support as you want.

15. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Update:

Had the interview today and long story short it went really well. they will let me know before Christmas if I am to be invited to the assessment day.

Have applied to some more companies already and will apply to some more at the weekend. Glad to have my first (proper) interview under my belt.

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Good to hear it went well. Hopefully there will be some good news before Christmas.

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Excellent! Hopefully you will get some good news soon.

If it doesn't go your way you will have some good experience now to build on (not that I don't think it will go your way :D )