Yes, i know AT&T hasnt enables MMS yet, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bina12834, Jun 18, 2009.

1. bina12834 macrumors regular

i dont see the camera icon when creating a new text, nor do i see the options to turn on/off MMS....are these disabled until AT&T enables MMS?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes they are disabled until you get a carrier update (from AT&T) read the 900 other threads

3. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

i didnt think AT&T could keep features out of an OS upgrade....sure, they could make their network to not allow MMS to be sent or received, but i didnt know they could disable things within the software like the camera icon and the MMS settings menu

4. JohnFa macrumors regular

They can't. Must be some other problem. Check some other threads. Some people found some bugs, like some buttons not being there. Try a restore.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The carrier files indicate what is available. If MMS is not available, it will not show up.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

wrong, they can, and they did, as stated in my previous post. you can download the hacked carrier file and the camera icon and mms options will show up but wont work*

*some people have reported it working but usually they are on a family messaging plan so they dont have mms blocked like the iphone plans

7. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

yea im not a hacker/jailbreaker/un-locker, so im just going to wait for AT&T to enable MMS. They cant wait too long since im sure now that 3.0 is out, everyone is in their ears about not having MMS

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

it is reportedly supposed to be later this summer but i hope that with them getting bad press and a lot of people complaining, they will work harder to get it out earlier

9. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

And, it's not even summer yet. "Later this summer" could be September. I wonder if this means August...

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah i spoke to a person from at&t and she ssaid late summer / early fall which sucks because officially the first day of fall is september 21 so that would suck if they went that route. but she was just a tech service chat person what does she know right?

11. vdubb77 macrumors newbie

I had this similar problem, I had to backup and then restore my iphone with a new install of 3.0. As soon as I did that i had the camera icon to send mms.

12. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

are you in the US?

13. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

My guess: The day the carrier update comes out, 3.0.1 comes out and unlocks those features.

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

There is no need for a 3.0.1 update. The features are already there.
    Apple can push a carrier file update out without the need for a new OS release.
    The current carrier file (AT&T 4.0) simply has the features disabled/hidden.

If you load the AT&T 5.0 carrier file, the features become visible.
    Not functional for most as the network blocks are still in place.