Yes, I want to switch...but what should I be getting...and when?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by appledu, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. appledu macrumors member


    Jun 16, 2006
    Somewhere. I don't remember ...
    Hello all,

    On a Dell here, Inspiron 8200 P IV m, 1Ghz DDR.
    Screen is 15" 1600x1200.

    It's been a great machine that I've had for nearly 4 years.

    It's getting limited though, as it doesn't have USB2, so updating iPod or downloading photos take a while...

    Anyway, I got an iPod back in January and that's what got me really interested in the wonderful world of Apple and Macs...

    I've been aiming for a long time on getting a 17" MBP and was really hoping that they would update the screen res, as I wanted a 1080p screen, but they didn't...:(

    I'm now thinking of getting either a Macbook or 15" MBP and eventually a HD display such as the 23" one.

    I'm hesitating at which one to get...
    I would use it everyday and along with the usual tasks of email/web and office, I'd also be doing some serious photo editing and hopefully web design.

    I also watch a lot of films/TV shows on it.

    I guess, in a way, I'm not keen on getting a computer that would have a lower res screen than the one I'm currently on - that is 4 years old.
    My concerns may be totally unfounded but that's the way I see it.

    Also, I'm thinking should I get it now, or play it safe and make sure that Steve doesn't "one more thing" us at MWSF and bring out brand new Macs...unlikely, I know, but you never know...

    But then, should I wait for Leopard...

    Any advice appreciated.

  2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2006
    I have a 15'' MBP. It is a great computer. I don't think there are any oof the widespread (if you can even call them that) that haunted the first round of MBPs. If it is updated at MWSF, it will only be to include more stuff.

    If your computer is at the end of its useful life then I would say buy now.

    You can still upgrade to Leopard for probably less than $150. So if your loss of productivity is more than $150 then why not buy now?
  3. appledu thread starter macrumors member


    Jun 16, 2006
    Somewhere. I don't remember ...
    My Dell isn't really dead.
    It works fine except for a few niggles.
    I do need to format though and I keep putting it off...

    It's true that I could update to Leopard when it's's just the screen that worries me...
    Can you really pass from 1600x1200 to 1440x900?

  4. JAT macrumors 603

    Dec 31, 2001
    Mpls, MN
    Well, NTSC TV averages around 525x240 resolution. DVD is 720x480 or less if widescreen. So reducing the screen resolution might actually improve picture. Really more based on the software upconversion than the final res.

    The question is whether you can stand to lose resolution in other things, like surfing the web.

    I find Apple's resolutions to be nice. They are going for a certain pixel size, and all their screens are very similar in this. Getting into the super-high res 15" Dells makes things too small to read for me, pixels just plain too small.

Share This Page