Yes, I'm a complete idiot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by determinant, Apr 7, 2008.

1. determinant macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    Yesterday, I managed to be a freakin idiot twice.

I spilled soymilk (don't ask) all over the right side of my MacBook Pro's keyboard. :eek: Nightmare come true. About 5 fl oz. I tried to blot all the stuff out and inverted the laptop. It's not dripping anymore, but about 5 minutes after I shut it off (it didn't automatically shut down, I held the power button and took out the battery) I was a freakin IDIOT and turned it on again. It did the apple sound, I saw the screen go grey, and then to my complete horror the unit shut off. :eek:

It's drying out right now on a table. I haven't tried to turn it on since, the battery's out and crap. So I'm going to wait until Tuesday evening to try to turn it on again. Do you guys think I fried my logic board or some vital parts of the thing? And it's only 2 months old, do you think Apple will hopefully take it under warranty? What if it was purchased from MacMall (yes it's about 2 months old, so under 1yr warranty.)

And also, how much do you think repair costs will be?

I know, I'm a freaking idiot, and I'm sorry for my stupidity on this earth. :(

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Who can say about the logic board until its fully dried out,a logic boards alot of mular,wont be covered by warranty as that sort of thing aint covered your a idiot :D only joking just keep em crossed till it fully dries out,dont know about MacMall

If you bought it by credit card maybe its covered in some way but dont quote me

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I don't see how that's possible, but anyway...

They won't take it back, warranty or not, if you spilled something on it because it was your fault. Sorry :(

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

hey i did say dont quote me

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Hope for the best, but don't expect the warranty to save you from damage you did yourself.

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

There actually are a few credit cards out there that do cover for accidental breakage, so that may be your only hope. But as has been pointed out, Apple's warranty definitely won't cover something like that.

7. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

You're right...sorry :p

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I new i wasn't talking complete ****,well maybe not 100% sure,thanks

No worries,but i was pretty certain id read it,as its been mentioned before about spill issues

9. determinant thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just came home today to find that the button to the hinge to open it up was sticky and dry and stuff. Same with the keyboard. If it works still I can live with it, but, damn. Looks like I'm out of $2k.

Anyone want to buy a broken MacBook Pro 2.33GHz? $400.

10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

even after drying there will be rests inside your laptop, you should clean it completely before turning it on.

11. Eric. macrumors regular

Why does every person who spills something on their laptop feel the need to turn it back on a few minutes later?

12. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

lol, that was a foolish thing to do.... i'd just take it to your apple store and they'll tell you what to do next.....

13. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I don't think most people know to leave it for a while to dry first.
    It's like a reflex I think; something awful just happened and you want to make sure your computer is okay.
    Simple mistake...

14. Coldkill3 macrumors newbie

hello, sorry to hear about your situation but my friend managed to spill lemonade on his macbook (not pro just standard macbook) a couple months back and it worked, oddly but still worked until one day it stopped all together he brought it in and the logic board was being eaten by the acidity of the lemonade, strangely enough he told the apple employee and truth and i guess they sympathized with him and repaired it under the warranty, didnt cost him a penny, if that doesnt work then i would pretend to act stupid and complain that my unit is malfunctioniong even after they open it up and tell u the board is fried =p

15. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

17" ?

16. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I think if you spill anything on your mac. you should start your post off the same way that this guy did!

LOL J/K
    good luck take it apart and try to repair what do you have to lose.

17. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

if youre serious i can buy it tonight ^^

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For $400, I'd buy it.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Poor Mac...

isn't the 12mth warranty, a manufacturer's warranty? covering the machine from technical defects and stuff? I'm sorry to say, that somehow I don't think liquieds poured on it is a manufacturer's defect... more like user's defect. :D

20. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Some credit cards carry a sort of warranty on items purchased. I cant remember which one, (capitol one?), but I read on here someone had a long warranty covered by their credit card company. As someone else said, dont quote me either, but it wouldnt hurt to research this.

21. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

How the EFF can people be so careless with a 2-3K piece of tech? It blows my mind that I see a thread every other day here about either dropping or spilling stuff on thier MBPs... just WoW

22. Victory macrumors newbie

If you have Home Owners/Renters insurance they might cover it. I was in your shoes a week ago and called my insurance company to submit a claim. They deposited the cost of the current low end Macbook Pro model plus tax into my account to replace my damaged machine.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

We don't need your 2 cents on how it can happen. Just because you are careful doesn't mean someone else won't spill on yours.

If this blows your mind, you probably would cry if you saw what some idiots do to their precious and rare automobiles.

24. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Sooooo no luck did you try turning it on yet?