Yes, it's another "WHICH MBP" thread ;)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kyprea, Feb 21, 2010.

1. kyprea macrumors newbie

kyprea

I know this may have been asked before but i wanted to post it anyway! :)

I'm starting Uni in september and want to buy a MBP that would act as my main computer. I currently have a 3 year old HP 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 135GB HDD. It's getting slow and i no longer have any space left. Initially I wanted the high end 13" which would be a big upgrade from what i already have, but I keep reading how it's too small and I'm currently on a 20". What do you guys think, given my situation.

FYI: I use photoshop very lightly but have a lot of pictures, music, videos. I also use Skype, browse the web, download etc, and play a game or two, but I'm not a hardcore gamer so i wouldn't mind not playing games on it if it wouldn't be able to handle it

so BASICLY...MBP 13" 2.53 vs any other MBP :confused: Thanks!!

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I think a low end refurb will just do. Bump the ram to 4GB, you are set.

and yea, wait a few weeks for the update if you can.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? to be insanely redundant? :rolleyes:

With a 13" you can buy an external display. I think the 13" is prime if you're in college and the display can let you come back and dock it, per se.

Oddly this is the answer I give every.single.time.

I would search if I were you for other opinions.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

high end 13" is a waste of money the increase in speed and HDD aren't worth it. Buy the low end 13" the screen size is fine and you can hook it to an external if you want to. If you save some money by not wasting money on the high end you can upgrade the ram to 4 gigs and put in a 500gb hard drive which obviously you need if your running out of space on a 130gb drive in your HP

6. kyprea thread starter macrumors newbie

kyprea

Because I never seem to find the right answer, and this way someone could give me their opinion given my criteria.

And yes, I plan on getting it in September.

What are we expecting the new MBP 13" to include? As I hear that there's a chance It wont get updated along side the 15" and 17"

7. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

How about updating your current machine? Bigger HDD more ram, maybe a new battery? For your tasks you do not need that much power.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

If you plan on buying in September, just ask again then.

MBPs might update two times in the next 8 months.

9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Apple usually throws in a free printer (after rebate) and iPod (after rebate, I think it's a nano) during the summer months. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between the "high" and "low" 13," you can hook it to an external, and it's the right size and weight for classes. Enjoy.