yes or no to imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ant043, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ant043 macrumors regular

well guys

I have a decision to make over the next few days and i am looking for advice. I had a macbook pro unibody and the 24 inch led display. Yesterday i made a spur of the moment decision and bought a rev b macbook air harddrive version. So far i'm loving it. I bought it because i commute daily 80 miles to uni using a combination of trains and buses. The macbook pro was starting to weigh me down cause i have to carry a couple of textbooks aswell and it all adds up. Basicly my question is would i be better off selling the macbook pro now and buying a new iMac as a desktop solution. It seems like the most logical choice cause the macbook pro is just going to be sitting on my desk from now on. If i do buy the imac i'll probably wait till snow leopard comes out. Is the base model 24 inch imac more powerful than my 2.4 ghz unibody pro ? I'm guessing yes but i see that this imac option only has the integrated nvidia 9400m. If i buy a current 24 inch imac can i connect that to the apple led display and use it as a secondary display. I would really appreciate any advice on the matter. Thanks for reading.

2. johtaja macrumors newbie

Stick with MBP, its enough of a beast, trust me. save yourself a buck or two.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I am pretty sure you can connect your 24" ACD.

I think it would be way sweeter to sell the MBP, buy the 24" iMac (spec it out however you like), and then set up dual displays.

You would have two awesome 24" screens. I am not sure height-wise how they would mesh, but I am sure you can elevate one or the other so that they are at the same height.

You will have so much screen real estate which will be great. Imagine having the ability to Type a paper, Do research online, and be able to chat and listen to music all without having to minimize or overlap any of the windows!

Sweetnesssssss

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

That's a hard decision. It will also depend on which MacBook Pro you have, and which iMac you intend to buy. The iMac is a nice computer, and it has some advantages over the MacBook Pro. It is cheaper than a comparable MacBook Pro, the screen size is bigger (unless you owe a 17" MacBook Pro, which has a 1920x1200 resolution), and it has more hard drive space.

However, it is not portable and it still uses laptop parts. The new iMac is cheaper than the last version, but, after almost a year, they could have upgraded the processors. If iMac used desktop processors (a Core i7, for instance) instead of laptop chips, I would certainly run and buy an iMac right now...

5. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys i really appreciate all the advice. I'm strongly thinking of selling now and then waiting for an imac update maybe in the autumn. Just out of interest do you think apple would update the imac or macbook pro to core i7 first ? I'm thinking the imac because it would be far easier to keep cool than the 1 inch thick pro. I have the base model 15 inch pro just to save confusion.

6. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, according to this test (http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/29/apple-imac-3-06ghz-unboxing-hands-on-and-benchmarking/), the new 3.06 GHz iMac performed way better than the 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro.

Mobile Core i7 chips are expected to arrive late '09. Apple will certainly update its iMacs, MacBook Pros (and perhaps also its MacBooks) with the new processor, as it always keep the latest Intel processors on their products. However, if Apple decides to put desktop processors on its iMacs (as they probably should), iMacs could have the i7 earlier.

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I have an iMac which I love. I really need a MBP or Air.

If you can afford it, get the iMac and keep the Air (or MBP). You can attach the apple display to the iMac.

MobileMe is great for keeping them in sync.

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd go with the iMac, for sure.

You're going to have the lightest and thinnest Mac available for day-to-day tasks on the road and at school. And then come home, and you'll have 2X24" displays just waiting at home for you. Plus, with the 2.66GHz processor, this will NOT lag behind your MacBook Pro. Unless you really need the graphics, I'd recommend getting the 24" 2.66 iMac.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

i also have a MacBook Air and new ACD monitor ... my old HP desktop is acting up so I'm thinking of getting an iMac too.

my opinion is if you think you'll use them both and can afford it buy it!

10. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

please somebody answer. I'm on the verge of selling my macbook pro. Just one quick question is the base model 24 inch imac more powerful than the base model unibody macbook pro. I'm guessing it is but i just wanted to check it out first. Are the components underclocked much on a macbook pro. The only advantage i can see for the macbook pro is that it has the 9600 nvidia graphics card. Thanks

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Your right the only advantage the MBP has over the iMac is the dedicated graphics card. In every other way the iMac is faster.