Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2010
119689201-1367daf52e05032d7d5d53208cbd8183.4c221360-scaled-1.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/yes-you-can-certainly-scratch-the-iphone-4/

so don't be cheap and not buy a case or screen protector.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Damn! Oh well. Thoughts of going caseless were too good to be true I guess...:(

Still reluctant to add a screen protector. Maybe I should just get over that.

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
No it's Apple's version of the scratch and win game. Take an chance and scratch your black iPhone 4 for a chance of it being a white one underneath! :p;):D

soupcxan

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Do you know what did it? Big difference if it was scratched by a diamond ring versus your car keys, for example.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
No it's Apple's version of the scratch and win game. Take an chance and scratch your black iPhone 4 for a chance of it being a white one underneath! :p;):D

cute!

hmmm...now i'm thinking MAYBE the stupid bumper. it would keep it off a surface at least.

Goldfire

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2009
Oklahoma City
Just because I don't buy a case or screen protector doesn't mean I'm cheap. I have never used either for any of my iPhones and I've never gotten a scratch because I don't drop my phone. I think the cases make it look ugly and bulky, so I just don't use them.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Do you know what did it? Big difference if it was scratched by a diamond ring versus your car keys, for example.

THIS!

Also, its hard to see, even when trying to be in full illumination from the light... My 3G doesn't have any scratches on the glass side and I don't think it's using this badass Gorilla Glass... I'll take my chances...

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Just because I don't buy a case or screen protector doesn't mean I'm cheap. I have never used either for any of my iPhones and I've never gotten a scratch because I don't drop my phone. I think the cases make it look ugly and bulky, so I just don't use them.

the impression i get if you buy an iPhone and not use a case is that your a baller :cool:

that being said i will be using a case :eek:

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
if it's any consolation, that looks like it would polish out very easily....

how did you scratch it so soon?

Ames

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
After a year with my 3GS I never got a major scratch. The front is flawless. The back has some scuffs, but I'd rather have that than a clunky looking case.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
First of all, good job Engadget to post that photo and not give any details about what scratched it.

Second, I am never putting a case or screen protector on my iPhone.

My iPhone 3G never had a case, and was in and out of my pants pocket probably 20 times a day for over a year. When I sold it this week, it didn't have a single scratch on the screen, and only a few minor scratches on the back.

It IS possible to take care of your phone, you know.

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
I'm against screen protectors and cases too. With my 3G I always just kept it in a pocket by itself and I never really sat it down on hard surfaces. After 2 years the back has some scratches now but the front is scratch free.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
First of all, good job Engadget to post that photo and not give any details about what scratched it.

Second, I am never putting a case or screen protector on my iPhone.

My iPhone 3G never had a case, and was in and out of my pants pocket probably 20 times a day for over a year. When I sold it this week, it didn't have a single scratch on the screen, and only a few minor scratches on the back.

It IS possible to take care of your phone, you know.

They might not know what scratched it. I used my 3G without a case, and it looked fine until I put it under direct light and noticed tons of tiny scratches. Don't know what did it.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I wouldn't want my macbook pro or mac mini to get scratched, but I carry my iphone in my pocket all the time. It's going to get worn and get some scratches. You buy the iphone to use it, not to keep it pretty. I think the cheap ones are the people who buy protectors and cases. The rest of us are realistic about wear and tear.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
that doesn't even look like that bad of a scratch and would probably polish right out. its just that the light makes it look like its a big gouge.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
"Yes, you can certainly scratch the iPhone 4"

And in other news, water is still wet!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I ordered a Zagg invisible shield a few days ago to put on my iPhone 4. I plan on putting it on the back of the phone for sure (some say the back of the phone is a different kind of glass than the front?). I still have not decided if I will put it on the front or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.