Yesterday 3G Sucks, Today Perfect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sunday Shadows, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Sunday Shadows macrumors regular

Yesterday I couldn't listen to slacker at all web pages crawled and that was with full signal. Today it's working incredible. What gives?

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

att=suck

but we live with it. kinda like if your hot wife comes with a wretched old step-mom. yeah kinda like that

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Where do you live? I'm in northern VA and I was having data issues with 3G throughout the day yesterday. It's all good today. ATT may have been having issues.

4. Luminyx macrumors member

That's what I said the last 2-3 mornings. But I always spoke too soon. My 3G would die again sometime by the afternoon.

5. Sunday Shadows thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Idaho, guess I'll see how it goes during the day.

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Same here, but it does seem to be getting better. I get 4-5 Mbps all morning, and I was getting 0 starting at 10am all week. Yesterday around 11 I dropped to 1-2 Mbps and didn't completely die until later in the afternoon. So far so good today, but it's only 10:15...

I don't feel that this is a phone issue so much as a network issue.

7. Luminyx macrumors member

That's what I originally thought, but then when my 3G starts to die, I ask others about theirs. I have two friends that have iPhone 4s in the building I work in and my mother has an iPhone 3GS. All of their 3G works. When at home yesterday, I tested my mom's 3G versus my 3G. They were side by side. Hers, albeit a bit slowly, would load. Mine would not load, and it would give me some sort of error notification (cannot connect to cellular data network, safari couldn't open page), and my full bars would drop to 1 and my 3G symbol disappears. This lasts for about 5 seconds. Some screenshots I took:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10401866&highlight=#post10401866

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I've had the same experience. My phone sucked on the first day I got it. My wifes was fine.

After that first weekend, it's like it woke up and decided to go to work.

My phone is much better now, not due to anything I've changed. I still use the death grip :rolleyes:

Although, AT&T did announce that the NY rollout was complete on that Monday or Tuesday. I'm wondering if AT&T working on the rollout was making it unstable?

9. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Mine was fast this morning. Now it's slow or non existent. Im on edge cause that's actually faster than my 3G. So it def must be AT&T updating something

10. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I am in Kansas City and I service was slow to non existent yesterday. Much better his morning. Hope it stays that way. Then again we are talking about AT&T.

11. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

12. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Just did a speed test. 3.06 Mbps down and 1.42 up. Much better. Yesterday at one point I got a .02 to .6 down and 0.0 to .48 up.

13. Luminyx macrumors member

14. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

In your screens there, you have 0 bars though. I have 5 bars showing all the time on mine when I'm having this problem. I did encounter the same thing last weekend though. My phone was getting no data while my wife's 3GS was apparently working.

I just ran a test and I'm still at 4.91 and .86 (a little off since it's been pretty steady at 1.2-1.6 up) I was playing with my sim card yesterday. Never changed anything, just removed it and reinstalled it 4 or 5 times. So it may still be related to that as well.

I took mine to the Apple store and they just blamed the network. They have ordered me a new phone though based on the green blob camera. I'm not decided yet if I'll switch it out or not. It seems like other people have bigger problems and I suspect the data is network and the green blob is fixable in software.

15. Luminyx macrumors member

When taking these screenshots, I have full bars, AT&T, and 3G listed on top. I am trying to load a webpage in Safari like google.com. It tries to load and then it gives me an error like Safari cannot open the page. Right when the notification pops up, my bars immediately drop to 1 bar, and my 3G disappears. Seconds later, it reappears. I repeated this process MANY times (only captured a handful of screenshots). One time I even got a notification about my Data Roaming being off.

That only occurred yesterday. Monday and Tuesday, it would just slow to a crawl / not work. 3G and bars were not disappearing.

I have NOT reseated my SIM card at this point. I've been meaning to do it, but I'm at work right now so I'll give it a shot when I get home.

16. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Interesting. My bars never change. At my desk though we have a very good signal. My company uses AT&T so we may have repeaters inside the building. We have had them for other cell carriers in the past...

Here we go again. Just got a .12 down, 0 up. Now the needle is swinging and I ended up at 1.81 and .1 up. And my latency has gone overboard. I just feel like it's the network because it's totally time of day. I'm running one now and not even getting through the latency test. Still 5 bars. Ugh.

17. a3silver macrumors member

Same issue in PA, it was basically dead most of the day yesterday, much better today

18. Luminyx macrumors member

What makes this all a little ironic is that I work for AT&T (internship). I am currently in my office in my AT&T building, and this is where I've faced a lot of my 3G problems.

Tested again: 1.02 down, 0.66 up.

19. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

290 ping, 0 down, .05Mbps up. I just powered down and reseated my sim again.

i want to tell people how much I love my phone, but when someone asks me I say "it's alright." So frustrated...

20. Luminyx macrumors member

It's it's any consolation, mine is getting worse. But strangely, my upload is higher than my download.

Down: 0.56, Up: 0.80

21. jazzyvandal macrumors newbie

Mine is working too this morning. Not super fast, but a bigtime improvement from yesterday. I'm in Salt Lake City.

Must have been a nationwide 3G issue?

22. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hey! Whattayaknow, it's working much better. I guess it was AT&T afterall.

23. a3silver macrumors member

Just did the same, good one minute, 11000ms+ latency & 56K down the next (all flat on my desk... no hands..).. 36 second ping??

[​IMG]

erratic...

[​IMG]

24. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Where in NoVA? I'm usually in Herndon/Reston while at work and my 3G was incredibly slow to the point that it would refuse to load anything. I had to switch to Edge which is embarrassing. :(

25. purpleclad macrumors member

Kansas City .25 Mbps Download, .11 Mbps Upload