Yesterday I Upgraded to Mavericks and downloaded Garageband now Kernel Task is 300%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rambo66, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Rambo66 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I upgraded to Maverick because I wanted the latest version of Garageband. I then downloaded the Garageband and bought the extra content pack. Now when Garageband tries to download the pack my Kernel Task skyrockets to using 300% of CPU. HELP!!!

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Wait it out. It should calm down soon or at least then Garageband is done downloading.

3. Rambo66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Kernel Task still ju

So, I waited it out and the Garageband extra content downloaded. I checked this morning and the Kernel Task was down, waaaaaaaay down. Right now it's at 2.8

Now, when I launch Garageband..... Kernel Task 324.8 and Garageband is not responding. Computer is supper slow and lagging.

----------

380.4 now

----------

3453.0 % CPU
    Garageband (Not Responding)

4. Marty62 macrumors 6502

hmm, now I am really sure about NOT going to Mavericks anytime soon !

What was wrong with GB on ML ?

5. Rambo66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to have the updated Garageband with the new instruments and loops and I was under the impression I needed to upgrade, so I did. NOW, even without Garageband running, I just looked and Kernel Task is 280.4 % of CPU

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Spotlight running? That can run for several hours if a re-index is triggered.

7. Rambo66 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Can we see a screenshot of Activity Monitor showing what is using the most CPU power?