Yet another 15" or 17" question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pimptastic, May 10, 2010.

1. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

Hi guys, i know ultimately only i can make this decision, but it does help getting other users opinions.

I'm a web developer and currently use a 27 inch iMac at work. This is great as i can have code and preview windows open side by side.

I'm now looking at a machine for home. I think i have dismissed getting a 27inch iMac for home as i would like the portability (around the house, not so much out and about).

I just cant decide between the 15 and the 17 inch.

In my home office, i will be hooking whatever i get up to a 24inch monitor. so screen size wont be an issue when im working there, and this makes me think the 15 inch would be fine, but there may be quite a few times when i want to sit elsewhere in the house i.e. conservatory/dining table and in this situation, i don't know if i would always wish i got the 17 inch

I think i may need to go to my local store and check them out side by side before i make a final decision, but i just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation.

Thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I also use a 27" iMac at work and have an older 20" at home. My primary computer, however, is a 17" MBP. I'd previously had 15" powerbooks, but I find the 17" to be far more useful for DTP, photoshop and Dreamweaver etc. That extra screen real estate is really useful - even if I have it hooked up to a monitor (in which case I use it in a dual screen configuration).

If you're not carrying it around outside the house that much (it's not that heavy, but still more effort to lug around than the 15" version), I'd say that the 17" is worth having.

3. ApplePu macrumors regular

hey

i was in your shoes about two weeks ago. first i decided for the 15" hi-res and ordered it from the online store. they sent me a broken unit and i had to return it.....i didn't have the time to wait for a replacement so after visiting the local apple store i came home with a brand new 17-incher....i'm so glad the 15" was broken, i should have ordered the 17" from the beginning....it is just amazing to have such a nice screen on the go.....before returning the defective 15" to apple i could do a comparison between the two and have to say that size is no issue at all if you are on the fence between 15 and 17 inches. if you can move a 15" you can easily lug around a 17" as well.

i found this is a pretty useful size comparison of the two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJuljJIyNY

4. Pimptastic thread starter macrumors regular

Pimptastic

Thanks for that. I think i have come to realize what i am looking for is a desktop replacement, not really a portable computer (although a little portability is nice as stated above).

Shiny new 17" MBP, here i come :D

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Agreed, I had a 15" powerbook then upgrade to the 17" MBP I love the extra screen size. The weight isn't bad for walking around the house. I'm still perfectly conformable crawled up in my bed using my mbp. :D

6. shadygrove macrumors regular

I downsized from a 17'' PowerBook to a 15'' i7 HiRes. I have an external 22'' monitor setup next to it. The only thing I would change is my monitor to an ACD. I love the 15'' HiRes. It's the perfect combination of power, desktop space, and portability. I use it as my primary machine for work and personal use. I love the 15''.

BTW... I am a computer programming and software developer. I don't do much design work so my need for PS and Illustrator is minimum. I like to use Coda for text editor and FTP application. I like it 10x better than Dreamweaver.

7. zudo macrumors member

Asked a million times before I know but, I guess you don't have any problems with font size then?

I'm really struggling to choose between 15" standard and 15" hi res. I want the extra desktop space but am scared I'll find the small fonts uncomfortable.

I mainly use my laptop for browsing the web and photo editing / management (in Lightroom). I probably will start coding again on it and I know the extra space would be good for that, xcode on my powerbook was always pretty cramped.

Any thoughts?

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

17" all the way I had a 15" hi res and sold it as it bugged my eyes, yet strange enough the 17" does not bother me at all. Still as portable.

9. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

I develop software for a living. Screen size and resolution is a huge factor for me. I own a 17" i7 as my primary computer and work in various random locations about 50% of the time.

IMHO, either you decide you want portable and get the 13" or you want a work horse and get the 17". The 15" really isn't much smaller (1lb difference and slightly over 1" to the width and less than 1" to the depth) than the 17" and you're giving up resolution for slightly better portability. I understand people buying the 13" over the 17" because they want portability, but not buying the 15" over the 17" for portability reasons.

*EDIT*

For reference

15"
    Height:
    0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
    Width:
    14.35 inches (36.4 cm)
    Depth:
    9.82 inches (24.9 cm)
    Weight:
    5.6 pounds (2.54 kg)3

17"
    Height:
    0.98 inch (2.50 cm)
    Width:
    15.47 inches (39.3 cm)
    Depth:
    10.51 inches (26.7 cm)
    Weight:
    6.6 pounds (2.99 kg)3

10. underblu macrumors regular

17 AG Display. I use i t everywhere, lying in bed, lounging outside, sitting on the couch. It feels great and honestly I think the slightly larger body disperses the weight better. The AG display makes for a lighter 17 too.

My friends white MB feels a bit like a brick in comparison. Heavy in the lap is all I'm saying

11. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I so agree with that. 1 pound more you get a Full HD screen, that actually is comfortably readable. Not to metion the extra hdd and graphics memory standard. 13" is nice for someone who takes their laptop with them everyday all day, but for all other situations 17" wins all.

12. pkmonockus macrumors newbie

pkmonockus

I too was tossing up the same question but do graphic design work. I ended up going for the 17" and super happy! With the same res as my 24" external, i find i can easily do work anywhere.

p.s. i hade the 13" macbook previously to my 17" and wouldn't want to go back to the cramped screen ;-)

13. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Have a play with the 17" MBP if you can. The pixel densities of both are similar enough that if you're comfortable with the 17" font sizes you definitely will have no problems with the 15" hi-res.

14. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Get the 17". You don't carry it out of the house much, the processor difference is insignificant for your purposes, but the extra screen size will make a noticeable benefit.

I stepped the resolution of my 17" down to that of the 15" high-res to see what the difference would be; the main difference is one horizontal inch of screen (which makes sense because of the physical screen size). Think of what you could fit into that inch and you'll appreciate the 17" more.

15. Pimptastic thread starter macrumors regular

Pimptastic

Just to update, i ordered a 17" from the Apple store last night...anticipation is killing me already!!!

16. pkmonockus macrumors newbie

pkmonockus

Niiiice! Congrats! You will love it.

17. matryska macrumors newbie

Enjoy it mate, glad to hear you were able to make a decision ;) I am sure that the 17" will serve you very well