Yet another 2008 MBP v Unibody MBP Qn!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dexter v House, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Dexter v House macrumors member

    Apr 18, 2009
    Hi all,
    firstly I am sorry this is another "which model" question, but I hope you good people can advise me to make the best decision. I have searched but felt I really needed to hear opinions on my situation.

    Situation is this: I have been negotiating prices with an ebay seller here in the UK for:

    a) previous model MBP 17" 2.5GHz Hi-Res 1920x1200 glossy (LED), 4GB, 320GB, 8600M GT (512). I believe this is known as the Penryn CPU model?
    Selling originally for £1,699.99 but have negotiated it down to £1,450

    b) Unibody MBP 15" 2.53GHz, 4GB, 320GB.
    Price £1,449.99, down to £1,400.

    Both are new & in sealed boxes. I will collect from buyer so there should be no worry of mis-advertised goods.

    First, the reasons for me getting a MBP (as opposed to a MB or any other laptop) are along the following:
    - To start learning Xcode and hopefully iPhone dev.
    - To replace my 9 yr old Dell which is pretty useless now
    - To have as much display real-estate as possible (15" is good, but 17" would be great)
    - To continue to run Windows developer apps (either via Bootcamp or virtualization)
    - Will not be lugging it around except from desk to bed to kitchen. Mostly bed as I'm tired of being sat at the desk all day (so a MB & external monitor not an option)
    - Not a gamer, and already have a good Quad core Q6600 Hackintosh/Vista64 machine
    - Do not intend to sell until it drops dead (like my Dell)

    I do not know which I should get at this point and need opinions to set me thinking straight.
    I am for some reason drawn to the older 17" but I know this doesn't make level headed sense! I have always been impressed by them, and the hi-res LED screen sounds too good to pass by.

    I have played with the unibody 15" in store, and while they are undeniably gorgeous, the overall look of the heavily contrasting silver body, black keys and black screen edge, and the new trackpad hasn't won me over completely yet. The older model looks a bit more, I don't know, "grown up". No intention of offending anyone here with the new models at all!! I would be happy if I had one. Hence my dilemma.

    Then there's the price drop I have negotiated. Which one offers the best value for money (remember I do not intend selling or trading any time soon).
    Should I ignore the £250 saving I'd get with the 17". Maybe it was priced too high to begin with anyway for an out of date model? And isn't £1,400 for a new unibody 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB 15" a great price anyway?

    Then there's the 8600M GT issues I have seen mentioned here, which the 17" will be affected by :( I intend to get the Apple aftermarket extended warranty, but still it's no long term guarantee I know. Is this the deal-breaker right here? Is every single Mac with a 8600M GT going to be effected?

    Are there other compelling reasons why I should definitely go for the new unibody and forget the 17" ? Will I regret not getting the unibody at this price?

    I need to make my decision in a day's time, so I would really appreciate your thoughts, people. Thank you very very much...
  2. zer0tails macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2008
    get the 17" since it won't be lugged around. The 17" is an awesome desktop replacement :)
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    Whatever you do, get the frakkin' applecare before the year runs out, especially with the nvidia 8600 video chip!
  4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    ...if you already have the quad hack, go for the 15", once you start carrying it around your house you may want to take it outside on a nice day...then it only goes farther from there...

    Get apple care on either machine...
  5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Mar 4, 2007
    Have you taken a look at they slel brand new 17" but witha 250Gb HDD for £1344.35. You could buy a 320Gb or 500GB HDD and still have change instead of the ebay one. I have used them before for purchases and have nothing but praise for them.

    Or you could get a brand new unibody MBP for 2.66 from apple direct for £1454.57.

    Just some options, PM me if you want any more advice.
  6. Dexter v House thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 18, 2009
    Just a quick note to thank you for the replies so far, they've sobered me up a little which is what I needed.
    After reading about a lot of screen issues with the old 17" hi-res, as well as the gfx card problem, I've decided to drop the Penryn option all together, and get with the new unibody's. Yeah!!

    Which one and from where is undecided. The newest 17" looks soooo tempting. Will have to have another play around with them to decide.
    Has anyone got a new 17" and if so are there any issues I need to be aware of?

    Shoppy, thanks for the link. I will PM you.

    Thanks everyone!
  7. Dexter v House thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 18, 2009
    Drat, I can't PM anybody yet as I just joined.
    Wouldn't mind knowing how I can achieve that price for a new 2.66Ghz. Their prices start way higher, unless you meant refurb? Could you PM me with details if I'm missing something. Thanx.
  8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Mar 4, 2007
    Hi Buddy, I have emailed you no the machines are brand new not refurb, direct from apple and you can custom build them but are then looking at 2 weeks before delivery. I ordered my 17" on the 1st of april and received it on the 14th. I would have got it on the 10th if it had not been for the bank holiday.


Share This Page