Yet another 2018 MBP keyboard claim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kuzbad, May 10, 2019.

1. Kuzbad macrumors member

One of my employees has a 2018 MBP and the keyboard started going insane in the last week (space bar randomly firing, keys not responding, etc.). We have Applecare and a business JointVenture account with Apple. She took the computer in to the local Apple store and they immediately said they would fix it without asking any questions at all (and gave us a loaner due to the JointVenture program). Easy, but annoying, and it does show that the keyboard problem is absolutely still around.

2. gyunter macrumors newbie

3. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

At least you have the Joint Venture Program to provide a loaner. It’s even more annoying when you have to “buy” a 14-day loaner. But any way you slice it, for a business machine it is an inconvenience for sure.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am curious, is this the first one you have seen with the MBP keyboard issue? Or has there been many?

Also, how many MBP with the potentially problematic keyboards does your staff have total?

I am just trying to get an idea of how widespread it is. It is one thing if we hear random stories about the keyboard issues from individual users, but if there is many MBPs in your office, and there has only been one bad keyboard, then it may not be that widespread. If there has been many failures, then maybe it is as bad as we have been reading about on the forums.

5. Kuzbad thread starter macrumors member

This is exactly the boat that I've been in--I had read anecdotal reports, but I had no personal experiences with the keyboard issue. We're a small company and mostly use iMacs and Macbook Airs. This 2018 MBP was our first touchbar MBP model, and we now have three 2018 models in daily usage.

This affected 2018 model was bought soon after release--July 2018. The other two were bought this year and so are newer.

So, a very small sample, but one out of three of our 2018 models have seen this issue.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Okay, thanks for sharing.

It is hard to judge what is happening, if it is really just isolated incidents, or truly a widespread problem.

I am personally staying away from the MBPs until this issue works itself out. I think that Apple's overall SW and HW quality has suffered over the past 5-6 years. Hopefully, Apple figures it out soon.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Anecdotal or real the shared negative experiences are prevalent. I find myself in the new position of having money in hand and not wanting the Apple product. Hard pass until Apple changes the keyboard design.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I stumbled across this article MacBook owners have been complaining about Apple's butterfly keyboard for years. Here's how the problems unfolded.
    Where Basecamp CTO States almost half of his macs have bad keyboards

I understand its a single company and not a great statistical sampling but nonetheless a major player as the creator of Ruby on Rails is complaining (if that matters)

9. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

The results of his Twitter survey of over 7,000 respondents, included at the end, is a bit shocking as well.

10. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

When they replace the keyboard on ‘18, they do it with the ‘18 parts right?