Yet Another ACD Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by supercooled, May 6, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, I'm wondering how you could tell when your unit was manufactured. My concern is buying one that's from 2006 or 2007. Is Apple still manufacturing these? I'm looking to buy the 30" which may sit on the shelves longer than their 23" being that is the most popular size.

Any way of telling when one was made without opening it? Any chance of the older models before the contrast upgrade is still in the distribution chain? Best bet is getting it from the Apple store to avoid old stock.

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I remember finding a site that would give you the information (not the chipmunk site) but there was one for Displays; I do know if you goto:

System Preferences > Displays > Color > Open Profile > and go down to like 13 might be different but to the right it says Apple Display make and model information.

and should have the serial, and manufacture date code.

However if your just buying one....its safe to assume theyre made after January 1st 2008; I purchased a display in February 2008 and it was Manufactured in December 2006.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The most recent models will have the standard Leopard desktop pictured on the box.

4. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't this a contradiction? 2006 manu. date is horrible. Didn't they do the contrast refresh in 2007?

hexonxonx, just so I'm sure the new models will not have this blue Tiger wallpaper, but a time machine wallpaper?

http://flickr.com/photos/mike_lao/527751512/sizes/o/

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's correct, it will have the default Leopard wallpaper with the earth and space on it. My display indicates it was made in February 2008.

6. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. Did you recently purchase that 23" with the Leopard background or you've seen them first hand?

7. Denali9 macrumors member

I would not be concerned, in today's world we work in just in time inventory management and I doubt Apple would have built more monitors than demand. Though having said that, if you buy outside Apple controlled chain of supply, you could have an older model but as said previously check the box, it will give you a good indication.

good luck

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, I bought my 23" ACD at BestBuy just about two weeks ago.

9. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to see the box?

Well, I was at an Apple Store (Yorkdale) not too long ago to buy one but I reneged just as he brought it out but I saw the Tiger background and not Leopard.

Denali9, that's a good point. I will certainly be buying from Apple direct but one thing that has interest me recently is the availability of the 30" in the refurb. I have never ever seen them in the Canadian online store but there it is all of a sudden. I'm not adverse to buying refurb but it is a big ticket item unlike the iPod I bought so there is an element of risk greater than there would be for a small item like an iPod. To compound matters, the refurbs do not come in retail packaging so it's a crap shoot.