Yet Another Battery Theory thread...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScottFitz, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Okay so let my iphone 3g battery completely drain yesterday and then charged back up fully. Used it last night for a while, charged it to 100% letting it charge all night.

Today, I'm still showing a near full battery bar but I've got 2 hour 45 minute usage with 8 hours 24 minutes standby.

Here's my theory... I'm in San Antonio and I've got a full bars of 3G signal.

Perhaps battery life is tied to strength of signal?

(I'm using push email, no location on, and most of my usage today has been internet and email, little phone calling)

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

That's almost certainly the case. The weaker the signal, the higher the gain needs to be on the receiver.

Hardly a new theory...

3. firewood macrumors 604

Yes. It's quite common knowledge that the less bars you have, the more power a cell phone radio will use to try and stay in contact with a nearby cell phone tower. This is true even in standby, as the phone has to tell a nearby cell tower how to find it when someone calls you so your phone can ring.

The cell phone radio is major power consumer. Cranking up the radio power output by hanging around some place with weak coverage will noticeably drain your battery faster. If you are traveling though an area with unusable cell phone coverage, you will help the battery life by switching to airplane mode.

4. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, maybe not a new theory to some of you then. But, it's f---ed reasoning apparently I went downstairs to get some dinner here at the hotel and all in a sudden my battery meter dropped to about 20% left! I guess it was a faulty meter.