Yet Another buy an iMac now or wait thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Itacious, Aug 21, 2009.

  1. Itacious macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #1
    I made a thread a while ago when I almost had enough money to buy an iMac, asking if I should wait for an update or buy now. Now I have enought money to buy it right now :D... but in light of the recent iMac update rumors and August SN rumors I don't know what to think. :confused:
    What's your guys' opinion? iMac rumors possible, Snow Leopard on August 28th? Though the August Snow Leopard thing doesn't bother me much... only $9.99 with the Up-to-Date program when SL comes out. :)

    If it means anything here is the specs (i'd get it at Best Buy, but it has to be custom-ordered.):

    24" LCD Monitor
    640GB HDD
    4GB RAM
    Radeon HD4850 512mb
    English Keyboard w/ Keypad
    Apple Remote

    Thanks!
     
  2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

    optophobia

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hudson MA
    #2
    The answer is always the same.
    If you NEED it NOW get it. Otherwise check this guide http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
    Also in your other thread you said you had enough money too "
    so which is it?

    You have apparently been waiting since August 2008 !!!!

    Then, a MONTH ago, you said
    Seems to me like you are just wasting everyones time here by repetitively asking the same question, and not really listening to some of the good answers that have been posted. I know this is harsh, but come on....
     
  3. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

    MacFanUK

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    This doesn't really help many people though does it?? It's really frustrating when you're asking for peoples advice, to then just be told 'If you need it now get it, if you don't, wait'.

    All your other comments are fair enough - if the OP is just wasting peoples time, then they should expect to be flamed.

    To the OP, my opinion is that it's only a week til the 28th, so at worst, if you wait a week, you save yourself $10...and who knows, you may get a higher spec computer too :)

    Honestly, a week isn't long to wait (even if you NEED it).
     
  4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

    leomac08

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #4
    Omg!

    WAIT!!!!!!! till sept!!!!!!!! maybe apple will introduce new imac's with new stuff and goody's!!!!!!!!!!! w/ the release of snow leopard of course!!!!!!!!!! lol:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
     
  5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #5
    I just want to make sure everyone knows that using previous history, Apple WILL NOT update their iMacs UNTIL EARLY 2010. They've just updated them a few months ago in March and will do so again next year, most likely during CES 2010 if they choose to attend/give keynote. September is multimedia month for them, iTunes/iPods and stuff like that.
     
  6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #6
    But then you don't get the free Touch :)
     
  7. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #7
    I concur.

    After talking to an Apple sales rep on the phone, I have decided to buy one now... once my checking account deposits clear.

    Well, I had ~$68 dollars to go then... then I spent some money, didn't make any more... yaddah yaddah. Now I actually have the money (see above). Sorry for the confusion.

    Another interesting tidbit, when I asked the Apple sales rep about the iMac Blu-ray rumor she said that Blu-ray support isn't ready yet, not all the bugs are worked out etc., and that Apple wants it to be complete when its released.
     
  8. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

    MacFanUK

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    I think Apples history is quite difficult to follow to be honest. Feb 2003 -> Sept 2003 (7 months) -> Nov 2003 (2 months) -> Aug 2004 (8 months) -> May 2005 (9 months) -> Oct 2005 (5 months) -> Jan 2006 (3 months) -> Sept 2006 (8 months) -> Aug 2007 (11 months) -> Apr 2008 (8 months) -> Mar 2009 (11 months).

    There is no uniform pattern to make any kind of prediction from, however, the buyers guide says on average, there is 49 days til an update can be 'expected', therefore the end of Sept/beginning of Oct wouldn't be out of the question.
     
  9. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #9
    Well you have to agree Blu-ray support and a case redesign is way out there for, say, September or October. ;)
     
  10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

    leomac08

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #10
    RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
     
  11. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
  12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

    leomac08

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #12

    Snow Leopard: No, there is an irregular pattern for imac's, I have seen only a one year change in ipod's, and macbooks every year, but not imac's.

    Mac Fan UK: Good Point:)

    Itacious: Yes, a blu-ray player is something that apple has been looking at, we might see some changes with imac's concerning blu-ray players very soon. i would love to see one.
     
  13. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #13
    Well, then, I don't know what to think... So much conflicting information. Apple, if you're reading this, I think you could be a bit more loose with some of your product info. You're keeping your customers in constant fear of being, for lack of better words, screwed over. :mad: (Mods, let me know of that was to inapropriate.)
    /end rant

    I want to have an iMac now; I don't want to have a new one come out weeks after I get one. I honestly don't know what to do. If anyone has some more advice, please share. :eek:
     
  14. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #14
    Mac OS X 10.6 is due in September (probablt around 28 September), not August.

    It's probably best to wait for that to get a Mac with the new OS already installed (saves a little bit of money and time). You might even want to wait until October or November to let Apple work any remaining bugs out of the new OS ... of course, then it's only four months until February / March 2010 and possible new iMac models (with or without a re-design). ;)
     
  15. rich2k4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    #15
    i was in the same boat as you. I decided that if snow leopard comes out august 28th, i will buy my mac on august 29th, and take advantage of the free ipod touch.

    whats better?

    waiting for an update that might not come.

    or buying now and getting a $200 dollar extra for free?
     
  16. Knoxville3G macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #16
    ^^^^ The man speaks the truth. My bet is for an iMac refresh next spring. Get your's now with a free iPod Touch, update to Snow Leopard for $9.95 and call it a day while you play with your brand new shiny iMac!
     
  17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #17
    While it's a good idea to consider the possibility of an update soon vs. 2010, it may also be a good idea to think about what sort of changes will happen in the update.

    I think price drops will be a major part of the September update, that is, if there is an update around September. CPU-wise, I think it'll be either a small bump (updated Penryns) or a large bump (quad-core), with a small bump being much more likely. I'm not sure about any other components, although it may be worth considering that the March 2009 update gave significant RAM/HDD upgrades.

    Also, a September iMac update isn't improbable since they were updated in September 2006 (a week before the iPods).
     
  18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #18

    Expect an iMac and later be disappointed. I could care less. But, if you don't believe me, we can have this discussion later when Apple does refresh the iMac. I doubt Apple will bother to do some minor updates to a recently-refreshed product line when they have SL on their hands.

    To OP, I wouldn't bother with Blu-Ray because most people don't have many Blu-Ray movies and most people prefer to watch them on the HDTV if they did. Blu-Ray makes sense in the living room/entertainment room, but less so on a computer. Buy it now unless there's something you still "need" and will possibly be present on the new iMacs.
     
  19. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

    SwiftLives

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2001
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #19
    Actually, the rumors are saying it will be released as early as August 28th. Next Friday!

    OP - If the iMac is going to be updated this year, it will most likely be in September, as that is the beginning of the holiday shopping season. And there are rumors of a 7-10% price drop across the line.

    I'm in a similar boat. I want an iMac, but I want to wait until the next product refresh. Fortunately, I already have an iMac, so I can wait until January of I need to. My advice is to wait until the end of September. If nothing is updated, go on and pull the trigger.
     
  20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #20
    And that's from AppleInsider, which is usually quite reliable.
     
  21. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

    MacFanUK

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #21
    I agree :)
     
  22. ag55 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2009
    #22
    i think people who post these know they can wait
     
  23. Itacious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #23
    Well, I couldn't wait any longer for an update that might not happen. I just ordered it yesterday. (my first Mac!!) :D Hope they don't update it in a month, but if they do and it's too great of an update I'll just return/sell it and get a new one.

    Thanks for all the advice, guys. Maybe I'll even post unboxing pics. Cheers!
     

Share This Page