Yet ANOTHER buy now or wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fallencircus, Apr 19, 2013.

  1. Fallencircus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    #1
    Ok, before I get flamed by those telling me to wait now, wait more, wait forever, just hear me out.

    My 17" 2007 MBP just died on me (well the display did) so I need to purchase a new macbook pro. Now I was in the market for one anyway but I was trying to hold off and just not have a field machine which I could do until about June or July but not past the end of July.

    I do video editing, photography, design etc, but what I want to focus on is the video editing portion. I am editing 2.5K raw files which the current rMBP has a some trouble with. I am mainly using Premiere Pro CS6 and Resolve 9 (full version). I know how I can handle the workflow to work with the current rMBP but having extra VRAM would be welcome. What I am wondering is not the increase speed of the Haswell chip or extra battery life etc, but what is the likelihood of Apple having a BTO option for a 1.5 or 2GB Nvidia card, like one of the new 700 series on the high end rMBP?

    I know nobody has a crystal ball, but based on past updates, etc I welcome your guess. I also hear everything from June-Q1 14 for the next update. What release date is more likely to happen? Again I know that nobody has a crystal ball, but there are people out there much more knowledgable than I am on this and would like to hear their opinions.

    Thank you in advance for your help.
     
  2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #2
    Wait... wait some more... wait forever.

    No one really knows the answer to your question.

    I recommend buying now since your machine died. Worst case, if Haswell is significant enough for you to warrant to purchase, sell the rMBP and pay the difference.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    If your computer just died, then get one, obviously you need to one as you stated. Haswell is due out in June and Apple's MBP probably sometime in August - if you're willing to wait then that's great but I think you'll be better off getting a new model now.
     
  4. bill-p macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #4
    Apple just released a hardware refresh in February.

    And typically, I think it takes them at least 6 months before they come out with a new model, so you're realistically looking at August at the earliest.

    However, if this is worth anything, the last time Apple refreshed hardware in February (in 2011), it took them all the way until October of the same year to release new hardware.
     
  5. jmdMac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2010
    Location:
    Alaska
    #5
    If you want to be taken serious don't title your thread as such.

    As for your question, wait as long as you can(end of July). If nothing comes out and you MUST buy one then do it.
     
  6. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #6
    Look like you can wait until end of July then just wait… :apple:
     

Share This Page