Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
When buying used and with a limited amount of money the best thing to do is go to quality used car lots and see what is available. If the Toyota dealer (or other similar dealer) in your area also has a used lot then check it out and let them know your limit. At least these cars will have been checked out by the dealer rather than buying from some guy who you have no idea about how he/she treated their car.
For the people who have given you sports cars such as mustangs as examples I would say stay away from all sports cars. A 4 door car such as a camry will cost much less as far as insurance goes and will definitely get better gas mileage plus will offer more room inside. Sports cars rarely have large trunks. Also stay away from old British imports which can be costly to have serviced.
Good luck :)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Arrgh... I'm a little pissed at the Toyota dealership people right now. Took my Taco in for some warranty service and they broke one of the studs off my rotor and didn't say anything about it. Boy was I mad when I went back...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mactastic said:
Arrgh... I'm a little pissed at the Toyota dealership people right now. Took my Taco in for some warranty service and they broke one of the studs off my rotor and didn't say anything about it. Boy was I mad when I went back...

I understand your anger- you had every right to be pissed off at them after they did that and did not even bother to tell you. :eek:

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I would say a 1998 subaru forester if you must get a different car, but even this is out of your price range.

Because you have limited funds for a new car, plus the fact that your current car has been reliable I say save the $4000 for any potential repairs that you may need on your current car and put the rest aside for when you can afford something better.

Buying a used car is risky, especially in the $4500 range. You can bring it to a mechanic to get checked out beforehand, but even if your mechanic gives it an okay, you most likely will need to spend money on a tuneup and possibly new brakes. But it's still going to be an older car and you never know when it will break down, even if everything appears okay to your mechanic right now.

I say it is too much of a gamble to buy another older vehicle. Save your money for repairs, put the rest aside, save, and in a year or two buy a pre-owned vehicle.

Whatever you do choose, good luck to you!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Tanglewood said:
Why not a truck?

A Ford Ranger from 1998-2000 would fall into your price range and the 2000 model actually got decent reviews from Consumer Reports.

why a truck? seriously whats the point, there is no excuse for buying a truck in SF.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
vniow said:
Nada on both of those, sorry. Jeeps are 4WD, not AWD like a Subaru or a Quattro so its only useful if one gets off the highways like you mentioned. The vast majority of my driving is highway so getting decent mileage and providing a comfortable ride are the most important parts. My wagon's comfortable but its too large and gets poor mileage for its size and engine type. 3.0l V6 with less than 175hp getting around 20MPG on the highway? Not impressive at all. I can get a Mark VIII or an STS that get better highway while having a 4.6l V8 with 280hp+ and be far more comfortable and fun to drive to boot.

For $4000, the best Mark VIII you'll get is a '95-96 with relatively high mileage. Some things to look out for are the air ride suspensions (which leak and cause the car to sag over time and are NOT cheap to repair) and torque converter problems on the earlier generation, along with brake rotor warping. I've been there, and it's not fun. The newer '97-98 style is more plush and gets better mileage but is definitely out of that price range. The fuel economy is also less than stellar (and the Mark VIII is a premium gas-craving car). If you like the Mark VIII, look into a '94-97 Thunderbird. They share many of the same components (but not engines) and the insurance will also be much cheaper. Avoid the 94-95 3.8 V6, though, because of head gasket problems.

As far as getting an Audi/VW, the thing to know is that there is no mid-90s Audi counterpart for a Jetta. The A4 and the Passat are similar with the Jetta being slightly smaller. The turbo 4cyl engines can be a little troublesome, and Audis are not really "fix in your own garage" cars, so repairs tend to be pricey because they know you can't do it yourself. I'd be extremely wary of any Audi A-series under $4000, though, because even a 1996 A4 with no upgrades and higher than standard miles has a minimum blue book of $4500, and they're not really any cheaper to repair when they get older, so you could end up with the nasty end of that transaction.

I really love my Audi, and they're solid, reliable cars, but when they do break down, it's an expensive affair. I'd say a mid-90s Volvo would be a great match for you if you're looking for something nice but economical in the $4500 range...or a circa 2000 Ford Taurus for something newer but less luxurious. I hope you find this helpful!

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I'm going to go with a Honda Accord like someone else said. I think you will find it comfortable enough for your needs. You could also look for a ford contour, back in 2003 I was in the same situation as you and I found a 00' contour with leather seats for $4500.

I would stay away from european cars as $4000 will only buy you an european car that will need another $4000 a year in maintenance (I can see people jumping on this comment and mentioning that their uncle has a 95' BMW with 1 million miles and running strong). I know domestic cars are not that much more reliable but at least parts are cheaper and easier to find.

When you're down to $4000 the features you want start getting mutually exclusive. You can buy reliability or luxury, not both.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
muffinman said:
why has no one said anything about the toyota prius! It's a swell city car with 50mpg. It's smallish, yet has a nice trunk room. It's quite comfortable too.

And its WAY over 4k :)

vniow, how about a 1994-95 3 series? The E36 (1994-1999) 3 series is a damn solid car, i am not sure about pricing though. I have a friend that has a 1994 325 with nearly 200k on it and it runs just as strong as the day she bought and it has had relatively low maintenance costs.

Edit: a 1994 325i with 100k miles mid blue books around $5080, with some searching i'd bet you can find one for around 4k

Ed

C

CompUser

Personally, the first car that came to mind for you was an Audi A4, I don't really know you though.

For $4000 you could get a decent american, old european car, or some old out of style japanese car (they have such high resale vales). In terms of Audi for 4k, you could probably find some boxy A6 or 90 which personally I think are hideous. When you say Seville and Lincoln Mark III I think of both an old man and a 50 year old man that thinks he is cool but actually is a loser stuck in the 70's.

For your price, another older taurus is a good deal. Pretty solid, have a pretty good lifespan, cheap to buy and cheap to fix. However, if you want something cooler and can afford the repair costs I would recommend an early 90's BMW 3-series, BMW 5-series sedan (Touring(wagon) has air suspension which is bound to break and it is very costly to fix). Also a mercedes 190, 300E, or 300D (diesel) also comes to mind. Mercedes tend to last pretty long. Also a Volvo Wagon (or sedan) such as a 740, 940, or 850. My friend's mom has a 740 with over 200,000 miles on it and its still running strong (she gave it to her son and now has an XC70).

I am turning 16 in 2m 10 days, so I have been keeping my eyes pealed for cars. I really like the BMW 3 & 5 series. If I got one I would get more modern OEM wheels for it to make it look newer. I also like the mercedes 300E. But my heart is set on a restored 88-95 Range Rover Classic short wheel base or a 80's Land Cruiser.

Recap:
> BMW 3-series 1992+
> BMW 5-series 1989+
> Mercedes E-Series (300E, 190E, etc)
> Volvo 740
> Volvo 940
> Volvo 840
> Another boring taurus
> Honda Civic/Toyota (IMO too boring and common)

On a side note...
I really hate when people complain about how wasteful SUVs are. If your taurus was getting 20mpg, thats only .3 more MPG than my friends mom's murano that has AWD, AC on, and fully loaded trunk. A Touareg, Jeep Grand Cherokee and many other SUVs that side get 18mpg on average. So I don't want to hear anyone complaning about how bad SUVs are. Some minivans only get 20mpg average too, and no one complains about them. Ok, I have ended my mini rant but lets make sure that we don't change the subject of this thread.

Let us know what you end up getting!

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
CompUser said:
When you say Seville and Lincoln Mark III I think of both an old man and a 50 year old man that thinks he is cool but actually is a loser stuck in the 70's.

Those two models in particular appeal to me because they're sleeper-type cars, meaning they look like they're designed for like you said, someone older, but pack a lot of stuff underneath that I like.

I've decided I'm going to wait a bit longer, but definately before the end of the year to get something else. By then I'll have a fair amount of my existing debt paid off and can probably save up a bit more which opens up my options a bit. Currently I'm drooling over the Mark VIII 97-98 model but those are hard to find and even harder (but possible) in my price range. Waiting a bit and saving some more will help greatly in my search. Of note, I saw a Mercedes 300 wagon (early 90s model I think) while walking to work today and it looked rather nice. The sedans are kinda boring but the extra room in the back makes up for it. I'm one of the few people that I know who owns a car so comfortable room for 3 or more plus things we bring is essential, part of the reason why I'm looking at midsize sedans/wagons and large coupes instead of something smaller.

Regarding the mileage thing, its all relative. I would expect 20MPG (highway mostly, more than 80%) from something with a bigger engine and/or more heft to it but its been really disapointing for a midsize wagon. Its not like I can't afford it, I just don't feel that I'm getting the most bang for my buck so to speak. Everything I've looked at gets better mileage than this thing, especially on the highway and its far more likely (at least I hope) that it will be better maintained than my wagon. About premium gas, I'm pretty sure most of the models I'm considering take it, my wagon takes regular but I will most likely have to up a grade or two with whatever I get.

I'm still not sure what I'll decide on, perhaps my priorities will change in the next few but at least it gives me more time to figure out what I can and cannot get and what would be best for what I need it for.

I'll be sure to post pics when I eventually get it. :D

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The 97-98 Mark VIIIs are really nice cars, as far as American premium coupes go. There's no European equivalent to a big, rear-wheel drive coupe (there was a Lexus competitor at the time that I looked at briefly). They're comfortable, tastefully styled and still pretty competent on the road despite approaching 10 years old. If you find one for a good price, jump on it!

If you wind up with one and you need a service manual, I might have one lying around in my garage still. If you get a 97-98, be careful not to damage the headlights (HID) or tail lights (neon gas), because I've never seen a more expensive light on anything under $60k!

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
matticus008 said:
If you get a 97-98, be careful not to damage the headlights (HID) or tail lights (neon gas), because I've never seen a more expensive light on anything under $60k!

I've seen prices for those, a headlight alone costs around $170. :eek: :eek: I know about the air suspension problems too, fortunately many I've looked at has either had them replaced or serviced relatively recently. Not to mention that for a 97 model, I'm having a really hard time finding one that's over 100k in mileage (which is certainly not a bad thing)

I've looked at the Lexus coupes too but their resale value is incredibly good, even a 92 model is hard to come by under $6k. The LS400s and the occasional GS300s are much easier to find but I find them bland in comparison.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
vniow said:
Since moving here I've started to drive it less and less to where the most it travels in the course of the week is to the other side of the street for street cleaning. Its currently used mostly for trips out of the city, like to Santa Cruz and such.
While a somewhat un-American concept, have you considered a shared vehicle like those offered by ZipCar, you don't have the hassle of dealing with gas, maintenance, parking, etc... but have a car available quickly when you need one. For $25/year + a worst case rate of $60/day your $4K could last quite some time...

Did I mention that gas was included. ;)

B

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
CompUser said:
On a side note...
I really hate when people complain about how wasteful SUVs are. If your taurus was getting 20mpg, thats only .3 more MPG than my friends mom's murano that has AWD, AC on, and fully loaded trunk. A Touareg, Jeep Grand Cherokee and many other SUVs that side get 18mpg on average. So I don't want to hear anyone complaning about how bad SUVs are. Some minivans only get 20mpg average too, and no one complains about them. Ok, I have ended my mini rant but lets make sure that we don't change the subject of this thread.
How about that one 5' tall lady making a quick run to Dunkin Donuts in her Sequoia, completely blocking the view of anyone not in an SUV? Or the nimrod hauling down the highway doing 85-90 in an Expedition? There's more to it than just their fuel economy.

Anyways, I suggest something small and light. Like the Scooby (Subaru)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
CompUser said:
On a side note...

Let us know what you end up getting!

most cars in europe get about 40mpg, most of your cars are wasteful but SUV's are the biggest baddest and most common example of your power thirst, i mean a buggati veyron get's better mileage than many SUV's ffs, big gas guzzling examples of any car can have crappy mileage that still is no excuse for buying them.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
muffinman said:
why has no one said anything about the toyota prius! It's a swell city car with 50mpg. It's smallish, yet has a nice trunk room. It's quite comfortable too.

For all the comments like this one, did you not see the $4000 budget? :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest an old Accord, Camry, etc, but looking at your car list seems to give me the impression that you'll have none of that. ;)

I'm going to suggest a Volvo S40 wagon if it's within your budget (don't know much about American pricing......sorry). Otherwise, I suggest you rent/hire a car for when you need it.

C

CompUser

Hector said:
most cars in europe get about 40mpg, most of your cars are wasteful but SUV's are the biggest baddest and most common example of your power thirst, i mean a buggati veyron get's better mileage than many SUV's ffs, big gas guzzling examples of any car can have crappy mileage that still is no excuse for buying them.

I do think america should have more fuel efficient cars, but when americans driving there minivans and pickuptrucks (and perhaps a 20mpg station wagon) criticize SUV drivers because on average the SUV's fuel economy is 2mpg worse. No one ever criticizes minivan drivers- we know a lady who gets 19mpg average on her new toyota sienna. No one ever criticizes the pickup truck drivers either. I would say that 2/3 the people that own a pickup truck around here rarely use it for its intended purpose.

The problem here is that people want to up hold a status, and unfortunately there are no fuel efficient vehicles that conform to "the status". Lexus has a couple hybrids but instead of using the technology to vastly improve fuel economy, they are more focused on improving the performance of their engines.

People also want SUVs just because they ride higher. I think it is ok to own an SUV. However, if you don't put anything in your car, don't tow anything, and live in a place where it doesn't snow- then your just wasting your money.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
see here to be "cool" as it were we have hot hatches, i dont particularly like them but they are the chav car of choice, they are fuel efficient and decent looking, cars like the VW golf, and other such cars

People don't identify peoples social stature by their car near like they do in the US, if you see someone drive by in a giant SUV on their own in an urban environment 90% of people will think they are morons, heck if i was a millionare or whatever the car i want the most does 43mpg and does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds (VX220 turbo) and my projected first car (triumph spitfire) does 50mpg and it's 26 years old, here nice cars are about looking damn sexy (if your after a car purely for a status symbol), not how big your SUV/engine is, which is how it should be.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
balamw said:
While a somewhat un-American concept, have you considered a shared vehicle like those offered by ZipCar, you don't have the hassle of dealing with gas, maintenance, parking, etc... but have a car available quickly when you need one. For $25/year + a worst case rate of $60/day your $4K could last quite some time...

I've thought about it but not sure if it fits my needs, most of my driving is trips down south but I do like having it avaliable whenever I need and not have to travel somewhere and then get it like for unexpected trips or when I'm going shopping etc. Its a nice concept but I really need one of my own.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Honestly, it sounds like you are probably better off doing nothing for now. Your current car still runs, and you're not in a position where you are totally ****ed if it dies one day since you seem to get by on public transit just fine in the City. It sounds like the only thing that would be curtailed should the worst happen is that you wouldn't be able to visit SC until you got a new vehicle.

So if that's the case, stick the hundy you'd be spending on that car payment in the bank each month, and just wait for a while. Buying cars at that price level is very risky. You could get a good one, or you could get a lemon, and you have little recourse once the money has changed hands.

And if you can get to a place where you can afford a $200 or $250 payment, you can get a much more reliable car, and have so many more choices in make and model.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
vniow said:
Its a nice concept but I really need one of my own.
'Tis the American way.;) Personally, I wish I still lived in a place with decent public transportation and something like Zipcar as an option...

I agree with mactastic, do nothing. Save your $ and buy something you actually want when you can afford it.

B

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
CompUser said:
I do think america should have more fuel efficient cars, but when americans driving there minivans and pickuptrucks (and perhaps a 20mpg station wagon) criticize SUV drivers because on average the SUV's fuel economy is 2mpg worse.

My TDI pulls 56mpg at 75mph.

I don't criticize. I gloat.

C

CompUser

pseudobrit said:
My TDI pulls 56mpg at 75mph.

I don't criticize. I gloat.

I wish america would have more diesel cars but then we would probably be blamed for polluting the air even more since diesel gives off more emissions.

There are only a few diesel cars available (aside from pickups and tractor trailers)
- Hummer H1
- Mercedes E320 CDI
- VW Jetta TDI
- VW Golf TDI
- VW New Beetle TDI
- Jeep Liberty TDI

Apparently VW has discontinued the Passat TDI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.