Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It's not bad, but it looks like an iWeb page. Might change some things up if you want it to look original. I dunno though, once you get rid of the big ugly "Work in progress" on the bottom, it'll look fairly nice (though it obviously needs more content, I'm assuming you're preparing that now).

jW

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yeah i know, its in the very early stages here. How would i go about making it more 'mine'? this is my first time with iweb and i though it was meant to be very restricted?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
yeah i know, its in the very early stages here. How would i go about making it more 'mine'? this is my first time with iweb and i though it was meant to be very restricted?

Yes, iWeb is more restricted than other methods to create web sites, but people who know what they're doing find ways to make iWeb do more than Apple thought could be done with it. A popular site for finding out how to do more with iWeb is iWeb FAQ. The site gets linked a bit here in this forum when helping people figure out how to do various things within iWeb.

entplex

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
just learn html

take a look around the web and you will find all kinds of tutorials on learning html or xhtml (two languages that are basically the same), then learn some basic css, and soon you'll have a page better then could be created with iWeb... also it will display more universally better if written using proper code. By the end of the experience, you'll have learned a new skill, better for you, better for your viewers.

SickSided

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Palm Beach, Fl
Looks good.

Looks good.. yes it's made in iWeb but it still is a nice looking website. Your average internet user doesn't really care how a website is made, whether with iWeb or if it was hand coded..i love how this always turns into a "you should just learn html" love-fest. I make websites with Coda/CssEdit but I don't push that on people who probably do not want to be web designers.

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
feedback

hello there
i just made my website to show some of my work and wanted some feedback if thats ok?

http://web.me.com/c.woolford/Portfolio_Page/Welcome.html

there it is. its far from finished but if you can let me know what you think of the work thats up there it would be much appreciated!!
thanks guys!!!!

Very good, and promising!

Your photos show excellent composition, exposure, etc., some are more creative than others, but very nice.
I enjoyed the short movies, also creative considering all of the production roles you played. I prefer Jim Morrison however.
Finally, your web designs look edgy, and creative.
Keep up the good work, it will be interesting to watch your talent mature over the years.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Very good, and promising!

Your photos show excellent composition, exposure, etc., some are more creative than others, but very nice.
I enjoyed the short movies, also creative considering all of the production roles you played. I prefer Jim Morrison however.
Finally, your web designs look edgy, and creative.
Keep up the good work, it will be interesting to watch your talent mature over the years.

wow, thank you. thats very encouraging!
As for HTML and all that, i am doing websites in my course at the moment using dreamweaver and i am poor at best! hahahaha its just something i am not good at but hopefully i will learn.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I appreciate the idea of your site. You might not appreciate what I have to say.

The layout is generic, the canvas texture is unnecessary, dated, and ugly, futura/trebuchet are used too much and not for good reasons, and you used italics. The use of autoloading quicktime videos is annoying and the sunken photo surrounds make your website look like it was designed in 1999. And its inconsistent.

Your webpage isn't prepared to tell me about you. Its prepared to show me a smattering of work you did. Its basically the same as if you'd shown me a flickr album or deviantart. When I'm looking for an artist to contract out work to, or refer a client to, and I see a page like yours, I'm likely to ignore it. Your portfolio needs depth and to show me you, not just your work.

Generic templates will always look like generic templates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.