Yet another External Webcam thread...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Geronimo51, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Geronimo51 macrumors newbie

Hey gang,
    I searched through some threads with the search tool... Didn't really find the answer- I know its here somewhere. Anyways:

I can't get Safari/Skype to recognize my old Creative Labs webcam. I have my MBP running an External monitor and would like to be able to not have to slid the laptop out onto the desk and open it for the webcam... Am I correct in understanding I need a newer/OSX specific webcam? seems silly. I would hate to think I need to install -blech- drivers on MBP.... Half the reason I switched from Microsquash...

Did some quick google searches, and thread searches- didn't see a direct answer. Thanks!

2. Geronimo51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... not sure if that was supposed to be overly simplified for sarcastic value, but thanks? I should have been more clear that, OSX is 99.9% plug and play- if its compatible, it will work on contact- that was my point about switching from windows.

Also your link when followed takes me to the very obvious page I had went to before :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: and there was not a single driver for OSX. They were all windows drivers.

At any rate after much more digging I was able to find a way to get it work. Thanks to the crew at sourceforge someone developed a component for quicktime (drivers <sort of>)... http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/ . They were developed by 3rd party since the manufacturer and :apple: dont technically support a lot of webcams. Download there file and copy the macams.component (or very similar name- only one **.component file) into ~library/quicktime. After that my camera started working right away.