Yet another falling rMBP story...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcp72, Sep 13, 2014.

1. rcp72, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

rcp72 macrumors newbie

So it finally happened.

Actually, I had a dream last night where my 2013 rMBP fell from somewhere and had its screen gone to shreds. Not that I obsess that much over my belongings, but that was a curious dream to have, hehe.

Anyways, I stomped on an audio cable plugged into my mac and off it went 60-50cms (1.9-1.6 feet)down to the wooden floor. I managed to cushion the impact by 'kicking' the mac, or to be more specific, by putting my other foot underneath it while it fell. This is a technique I recommend to anyone with good reflexes to work on such a minimal time-span.

So... somewhat miraculously, the computer is working as normal, and it barely has some minor scratches. I does feel like the bottom end is kinda loose, like if I press on the middle it will make some funny ringing noises as if pressing/unpressing some components. Perhaps this is normal and something I hadn't noticed. I also feel it hotter than usual but that I'm sure is my mind playing tricks on me. After all, I worked hard to get this Mac and guilt is a dangerous thing to mix with OCD (I lied about obsessing, so what!).

So, what kind of test should I run now? Do you recommend me to take it to a technical review?

Thank you very much.

2. EOB macrumors regular

Maybe your fans are busted? If you say that it is running hotter than usual, and that it makes a noise when you press the middle, then it must be your fans, since a rMBP does not have any spinning parts other than the fans.

Also it would not hurt to just remove the bottom cover yourself and inspect it.

3. rcp72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi EOB,

Thanks for your reply. I will make a couple of software tests to check the temperature thing. I just noticed that this noise I mention is probably that notorious 'creaking' that many users have complained about the 15'' Haswells. Like if it was made of cellophane or something, and dropping it may have exaggerated this.

I have done my research, but I can't find which type of screwdriver do I have to get to remove these strange screws? Aren't these proprietary?

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

I believe they are P5 pentalobe screws.

Also, just to be sure about the fans, I would install an application such as SMC Fan Control just to monitor them for a while. (Ensure they are on, spinning up etc.)

5. thekb macrumors 6502a

I do this trick too. When I drop anything breakable I immediately try to get my foot under it before it hits the ground.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Last time I caught my Mac with my foot (also a reflex thing with phones and such), it cut a two-inch gash in my foot. Yeah, not again, no thanks. I ended up with nary a scratch on my computer, but it was bloody and I couldn't walk for a week. I'll let my computer break next time.

7. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Yikes. I wish they made a MagSafe for headphones. I've caught myself almost walking off with the headphones still plugged in a few times, fortunately I caught myself in time. What a nightmare that would be to drop my 15" retina MacBook Pro. I bought it back in 2012 when it was extremely expensive.

8. gochi macrumors 6502

open it up give it a good cleaning

discharge the laptop

run the APPLE HARDWARE TEST