Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I'm getting really fed up with how much Apple sucks at making FileVault secure. OK, this hole is nowhere as big as some in the past, but it's still annoying:
Today I found that all the web caches are saved outside of the encrypted FileVault image in /var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/. I poked around in it on my system and could find not only pretty much all websites I had visited in the last weeks, but also tons of account names, email addresses and a few passwords. That's exactly the kind of stuff people are trying to hide with FileVault, isn't it?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Unless you have some very sensitive data AND are at risk for physically losing the computer, don't use file vault. It has caused countless problems for people.

For smaller files you want secure, maybe use an encrypted disk image (and make sure there is a backup because disk images can get screwy too occasionally) In Disk Utility, use "new disk image" and follow the directions. Don't save the password in keychain, obviously, and make it large enough to contain your stuff.

Just an idea.

andyone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I have been using FileVault since Panther and never had any problems with it. Most of the FileVault horror stories seem to be from pre-Panther OS X versions.

I won't carry any unencrypted data around with me if I don't have to, it's just one more problem to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.