Yet Another Free web / forum hosting thread

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dmmcintyre3, Jul 28, 2009.

1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I found one that I like feature wise but:

The server (MySQL?) is slow (so slow that a 768 Kbits connection can tell it is slow)

The FTP is slow

They give you a random username like b13_57932754

VistaPanel sucks (not just because of the name)

http://ByetHost.com is the host.

There is 300:eek: domains hosted from 1 of their servers (The one I am on, #12)

There is lots of downtime on their control panel and FTP. The hosting itself is reliable though.

I am kind of going for a forum type host but want to be able to pick the forum system (PHPBB3/SMF) and have FTP access to the site for installing mods. I would like 5+ MB attachment limit if it is a forum host too.

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I don't understand, there are very good hosting companies out there that charge as little as $1-$2 a month and people still insist on going with these unreliable free hosting providers?

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I pay $5 a month for a great linux hosted service with amazing tech support, great uptime, SSH access, PHP4/5, mysql, cpanel. $5/month. You can get all the same features with less bandwidth/space for $2/month. Running a forum on a free server is madness.

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

If you're at all serious about this you will pay $5 a month for hosting. And if you don't have a credit card, don't worry, most hosts allow you to use PayPal for payments.

5. Slovak macrumors regular

I and my clients are with A Small Orange - great price, great service. If you choose their annual plan on the Tiny package, you will be paying $20. That's not per month, that's per year. Less than $2/month. They have cPanel, php, forums you can install, add-in domains, etc. Incredibly responsive customer service, great uptime (live status of all servers at http://status.asmallorange.com/ )

Use coupon SaveMe5 to save another $5 or Save15off to save 15% in case you decide to go for the bigger package.

Take a look at http://refer.asmallorange.com/3410 (Affiliate link)

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Reviews seem to suggest otherwise about the uptime--and, as we speak, two of the servers on the page you linked to are down. :)

That being said, those prices are hard to beat.

7. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

You get what you pay for. If you're paying $2 a month, expect nothing.